Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gary Sheffield to the Tribe...(my own rumor)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jaret has a more serious shoulder injury than first believed, unlike elbow injuries that can be fused during TJ surgery that actually increases arm strength and velocity, shoulder injuries are never the same. The Indians deserve the blame on this with all the changes in Wrights delivery and mechanics. At one time in the minors Jaret had a very sharp break to his curve, while pitching at class A columbus he was voted as having the best fastball and breaking ball but for some reason saw it flatten out when he got to the big leagues. The Indians are going to bring him along slowly by bringing him out of the pen the way ST.Louis did with Matt Morris. This is a make or break year for Wright nonetheless.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I personally have written Jaret off. I guess I'm just tired of waiting for players to recover from injuries. If Jaret's shoulder is healed (I doubt it), you still can figure he'll open the season in Buffalo. He'll probably be there at least til June.

Personally, I'm more interested in seeing if DePaula can make it back. I think he has a better shot at being a setup man and eventual closer than Jaret. But, just like Jaret, DePaula's got to be considered a longshot to make it back.

If Jaret or DePaula were considered healthy by the team, do you think they would have signed Wohlers?

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, you seem to know the intricacies of pitching. But as a closer, aren't two pitches enough?

If so, then if Jaret can still bring low-mid 90's, then wouldn't he just need one more good pitch?

------------------
    Alex

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good point but also another arm added to replace Baez. I am also skeptical about Depaula coming back healthy wich is a real shame, he could have been our closer by now had he stayed healthy, he was just dominant in the 1999 ALDS, as for Wohlers maybe we will get lucky by catching lightning in a bottle. Here is a quote from Hal Lebovitz the other day"
    STILL OUT THERE:

The Indians became excited about Wohlers when Gary Denbo, the Yanks coach last season recently signed as a tribe scout urged them to go after Wohlers. He told Shapiro "His stuff is now as good as it was when he had his great years," Shapiro had his personnel folks study tapes of Wohlers last season, We found, Huntington said, his fastball is between 94-98mph and he also has a 90 mph splitter, his stuff is back!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by srg:
    Good point but also another arm added to replace Baez. I am also skeptical about Depaula coming back healthy wich is a real shame, he could have been our closer by now had he stayed healthy, he was just dominant in the 1999 ALDS, as for Wohlers maybe we will get lucky by catching lightning in a bottle. Here is a quote from Hal Lebovitz the other day"
    STILL OUT THERE:

The Indians became excited about Wohlers when Gary Denbo, the Yanks coach last season recently signed as a tribe scout urged them to go after Wohlers. He told Shapiro "His stuff is now as good as it was when he had his great years," Shapiro had his personnel folks study tapes of Wohlers last season, We found, Huntington said, his fastball is between 94-98mph and he also has a 90 mph splitter, his stuff is back!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I've said all along, that this was a very good signing. They say that it takes 1 1/2 to 2 years for a pitcher to completely recover from TJ surgery. That puts Wohlers right on schedule to be completely recovered.

Last year Wohlers pitched pretty well. I believe he appeared in 35 games, they said in 30 of those games his ERA was under 2, which means he had about 5 games where he got rocked. That's pretty good pitching overall.

By the way, is there any website that has Hal Lebovitz articles?

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No website posts Hal's articles. Some dedicated fans will type or scan the articles and post them on some forums...

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Crank:

Of the suggested trades I read for Sheffield yours is one of the best in terms of trading equal talent. Still would not do this trade.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe this is only the second time Crank has agreed with even a portion of my post...

So, now that Sheffield has been traded to the Braves, how would Brady Anderson, Paul Shuey, Jaret Wright, and Jolbert Cabrera compare to what the Dodgers got from Atlanta?

Keeping in mind the Dodgers have somewhat thin relief corps, a centerfielder with a .260-280 OBP, and not much in the way of bench strength.

------------------
    Alex

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here is the latest article On Wright from todays ABJ:

ANOTHER NEW START -- Indians pitcher Jaret Wright is coming off shoulder surgery and told reporters yesterday at Jacobs Field that he feels like he'll be ready to go by spring training. Although the Indians are expecting Wright to start the season in the bullpen, he said he's pushing for a starting spot. ``Being a starter and having had that starter's mentality, it's something I want to do again,'' Wright said. ``If things are going well with my shoulder and I get a chance to start, that's all I want. If I'm not where people want me to be and if I don't feel it inside that I'm where I want to be, then the bullpen is an option. But for me, I'm a starting pitcher and that's what I want to do.''

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:
    I believe this is only the second time Crank has agreed with even a portion of my post...

So, now that Sheffield has been traded to the Braves, how would Brady Anderson, Paul Shuey, Jaret Wright, and Jolbert Cabrera compare to what the Dodgers got from Atlanta?

Keeping in mind the Dodgers have somewhat thin relief corps, a centerfielder with a .260-280 OBP, and not much in the way of bench strength.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please note that I ended up disagreeing with this trade....Wright is injured, Anderson might just be cut from the Indians and really has little trade value, Cabrera is an utility infielder/of, and Shuey - well I don't see many teams making a closer out of him....

------------------

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast