Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sigh.

As much as I was in favor of the Lawton signing, I thought we paid about 6-8 million too much for him.

If we hadn't signed Lawton, and signed Karim Garcia instead, and hadn't signed Ricky G, and instead signed Johnny Mac, we'd have saved 25-30 million dollars, and we'd have much more flexibility in who makes the roster.

There is too much veteran presence on this years team. Hinch, Lawton, Spencer, Omar, Burks, Gutierrez.

6 players who I consider vets is too much on a ballclub that is not supposed to contend this year.

That is the paradigm. If these guys are only going to produce a below average result, then why keep em, or at the very least, why keep that many?

We'd like to see Crisp, Gerut, Blake, Phillips, Haffner, Broussard, Martinez, Bard, Garcia, Mcdonald, Bradley on the major league squad. That's 11 guys.

By my math, that means we have 4 too many vets.

If you exclude Lawton, Gutierrez, and Hinch, the roster would be only be off by one number. As it stands now, we have too many vets for a team that is not expected to either play .500 or contend.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thome not signing really changed everything. Suddenly, it's really time to rebuild.

However, I believe this team could have some kind of weird chemistry to it. If Garcia, Spencer and Bradely don't turn into strike out machines, this team could surprise.

My point is if we keep an anbundance of vets, than a .420 winning percentage is unnacceptable.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alex...
    Don't despair...geez...it isn't that big a deal. We need a vet for back up catcher. Plus you want vets riding the pine in order so that the prospects can get every day playing experience.

You are kinda nit picking in all honesty. Omar is here for the long haul and burks as well, they were signed well before the rebuilding. Lawton was a mis signing but again before the rebuilding. If you notice no VET signed after the rebuilding started was for more thne one year. Just sit back and enjoy the ST games and watching them play well there. Stop worrying about such minor stuff.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am not sure I agree with that statement. I mean look at the winning percentage of the DRays and the Royals and the Tigers. And the number of "vets" they are playing, and paying through the nose for. There is a difference if the number of vets were all getting multi year contracts etc, but this is the first stage of the building process. You don't want an entire 25 man roster of prospects, they won't get the development they need that way because their playing time will be taken away etc. Plus if any of the vets do well they will get traded by midseason, if they don'tdo well then they will be released. NO harm no foul, payroll stays the same.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Y,d, u, w, r, uh, e, h, y, o, er,jdid,
    did you just compare our team to the D-Rays, Tigers, and Royals????? [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]frown.gif[/img]