Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Indians Don't like Stolen Bases and to prove it, they traded away Rule-5 Willy Taveras and his 57 stolen bases in 2003 (in the minors) to Houston along with the Indians minor league leader in RBI's last year, Luke Scott, who had 81 RBI's in only 117 games while playing for both Akron and Kinston last year.

Projected out to 150 games, Luke would have had 103 RBI's, or about 36 more than Casey Blake got last year in the same amount of games, all this while hitting in the low 270's, barely higher than Blakes average.

Even though the Indians picked up a 15 game winner Jeroime Robertson, who is a lefty just in his second season, Robertson pitched on a team that had a terrific offense.

What would be so awful about putting either a fleet footed ballplayer at second base who can steal 50 bases in a year, (Tavaras) or one who could muster up 20 or more homers, (Blake)? Tavaras is presently an outfielder.

Outfielders are no longer required to steal that much if they hit for average and have a good OBP. But many good teams do have speed at second. I wonder if Tavaras was given a try at second while in the minors.

Belliard may turn out to be OK for this year, but I think the Indians are making a big mistake if they continue to diminish the importance of the stolen base. It's not just the stolen base that matters, it's the THREAT of the stolen base which forces the pitcher to throw more fastballs down the middle of the plate to the hitters who come up when a speedy runner is on base.

Players that steal a lot of bases will ALWAYS advance two bases on a single and in the process cause the opposition to make more errors. These players usually score from first on a double. How many times have we scored no runs after getting guys on second and third. Well, if there had been a speedy runner on first when the hitter doubled, the chances are good we'd have a run in and possibly a man who on third who advanced there after the throw went home.

This is where someone responds with you can't score from home, meaning if you don't get on base what's the point. Well to have 57 stolen bases, he must have gotten on base quite a few times.

If I absolutely knew that Coco would be in the line-up everyday, I wouldn't care as much about this trade. But we are now in year three of second base being manned by at best average speed ballplayers, more likely slower than average speed. I wonder if Tavaras had what it took to play at second.

Hey, Tavaras throws with his right hand! A bonus! Anyway, it's silly to even waste a spot in the minors on Tavaras if he was being groomed to be an outfielder who can't hit for a bit of power.

But as a second baseman he would have been an awesome commodity. If he had been groomed for second base, I bet we make the deal straight up with Houston and in the process hold on to Scott for this season or as trade bait.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok - now you want to move someone to second who has never played the position at all? Again....you really are obsessing about this Alex....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think you've missed my point. The Indians aren't interested in Dave Roberts / Willy Taveras types because they play the outfield.

The Indians want either Jody Gerut types or Milton Bradley types. Why wasn't Taveras converted to an infield position while in the minors?

By the way, Melvin Mora Plays every position AND this year he is slated to play third, even though he never played the position before.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maybe Taveras wasn't converted to an infield position because they didn't think he could play the infield?

As far as Mora goes - still doesn't make your point. Mora has played second, short and third before - perhaps not third but i think he has - so moving him to third fulltime is not the same stretch that moving Blake from third to second, or moving Martinez from catcher to third.

Nice try tho.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Maybe Taveras wasn't converted to an infield position because they didn't think he could play the infield?

As far as Mora goes - still doesn't make your point. Mora has played second, short and third before - perhaps not third but i think he has - so moving him to third fulltime is not the same stretch that moving Blake from third to second, or moving Martinez from catcher to third.

Nice try tho.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

But if you look at last years stats for Mora, he played everywhere but third. Now, just like that, he's going to be put at third with no game experience there from before.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

But Mora did play second and short....and if you look two years back you might discover he did play third....once again Alex it does not prove your point. Just means an utility starter has finally found a position.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Here's a quote from Yahoo:
    Biography
    Versatility has been the trademark of Melvin's career.

The one-time amateur boxer in his native Venezuela, Mora has played all three outfield positions plus second, third and short.

Mora, who last season hit .400 (4-10) and knocked in 13 RBI with the bases loaded, also enjoyed a career power year by belting a personal high of 19 home runs.

However, nothing Mora's accomplished in his career has produced the emotional high he experienced on July 28, 2001 when his wife Gisel delivered (count 'em) quintuplets (three boys, two girls).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you Roto....