Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is there any way to store a valid install?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

What you should do:
    Take your computer outside.
    Get a rope.
    Tie one end of the rope around your computer.
    Tie the other end to your car.
    Drive down the street very fast.
    Go home and enjoy a relaxing EWS-free life.

Inactive Member Daniele del Bosco's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That?s what I did with my first EWS64. I thought that in the meantime the people are cleverer, but your answer shows how wrong I have been. Friend: next time, when you wanna tell a joke and you don?t know how to, come to me; I?ll teach you gladly.
    Daniele del Bosco

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To Beta-Decay:
    it's also possible you end up with a car-free life wink

To Daniele:
    Maybe another useful tool for you could be PowerQuest's 'Second Chance' (restores previous states of Windows).
    I agree that you have to have some discipline to make new ghosts all the time. But I think it's worth the effort. And why updating drivers all the time? If you encounter no problems in your system, there's no point in doing that (never change a working windows ;-)And I can surely recommend the separate partition for 'experimenting'. There you can first test an update or some new software. If it's good, you can update your partition for the serious work as well.
    Also the second harddisk is a very good idea: buy a few of those removable IDE harddisks trays, buy a second harddisk and install a dedicated music system on it. You just have to switch harddisks when you want to do entirely different kinds of stuff (Office stuff, Audio, Video, Gaming, you name it)
    Saves you the money of a second computer. wink
    Anyway, you can't say that all those kind members of this forum didn't try to help you out here and to cheer up your troubled life. If all this didn't work, you may always consider to borrow Beta-Decay's rope, tie it around your neck and jump out of Windows. It seems some people got really good brainwaves from that eek (ok, sick joke, sorry) smile
    Good luck,
    Arnoud

[This message has been edited by Arnoud de Jong (edited January 25, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanx for the advice. I?ll see what to do. I?ve "ghosted" my partition C once again, just to follow your advice . Hopefully this time I?ll come to use it. But sorry Arnoud, what intrigues me in your answer is: don?t you update your stuff as new updates come out? Look, soon Logic 4.7 will be out, which will feature a new version of their EXS sampler - this time harddisk-based, like GigaStudio! - won?t you install it? SoundForge 5 will soon be here, so I hear - long-awaited 20-bit version - won?t you install it? I hear Steinberg has lots of new, interesting stuff coming up - won?t you install it? Will you say "no, why change a working config"?
    Well, as far as using Ghost,I have my way of doing it: I?m doing a clean Windows install, I install all my drivers, do all my tweaks, then I store a ghost image of that (that is, before installing the stuff that?s beeing modified each 2 months). This way, I still can install my new, interesting stuff coming, and still not loosing half-a-day for a complete instalation.
    About the help I?ve received from the forum members - yes, I did. There were nice dudes answering me; with some of them, like Zappucco, I continued exchanging mails privately. But sorry, I?m a new guy here; I come from some places and forums where a guy like BetaDecay wouldn?t remain too long as a moderator, with his strange ways of giving advice.
    Thanks for helping.
    Daniele

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Daniele,

I totally agree with you. "Never change a running system" may be right, but I could still be using Windows 95 this way...
    New drivers and BIOSes for all my hardware usually increase the overall performance. If your hardware and software is made by good companies, you can install every update without worrying about it.

Bye, Philipp

btw: Do you know when Logic 4.7 will be availabe?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Philipp,
    I don?t know exactly, as I hurry to answer to you before beeing to their site. But there?s a lot of talkings about it in the GigaStudio user forum; I understood from those talkings that it was annonced to come out soon. I guess it was presented at the NAMM. The giga boys are somehow worried cause the EXS sampler will be harddisk based, exactly like GigaStudio - so they see the "exclusiveness" of GigaS will be blown away. I?m only selling what I?ve been sold, you see. BTW, talk is out that Steinberg will release soon their version of a harddisk-based sampler, called "huengo"? "hillopo"?"anido"?...you know,one of their funny names:-)
    Regards
    Daniele

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello Daniele,

I don?t care too much about that HD-based stuff. In my opinion, using the EWS 64 is still the safe way. Maybe I?ll change my mind when I get my Pentium IV dual cpu machine with 1024 MB RAM...

There?s been a lot of talk about Steinberg?s Halion on the web. Hehe..all the Cubase users are still envious about the EXS.
    One thing I?m worried about is that one of the next Logic updates may not be free anymore(Don?t panic, that?s just what I think, in fact I didn?t hear or read anything about that!). Updates since 4.0 have been free..? think that in some time there will be a bigger step, like to 5.0, that won?t be for free anymore.

Greetings, Philipp

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Philipp,
    Hm...it?s my understanding that the 4.7 update will be free for registered users, so I?m told.
    Anyway, I completely agree with you about the EWS64 as the best solution: it just stays there, doesn?t ask for food, doesn?t eat no computing power...these are big, big advantages for me. I?m building right now an ISA-extender for my ISA cards (2xAWE64gold 28 megs, 1xEWS64XL 32megs) since the newer mobos are trying to get rid of ISA; I was lucky to find a mobo with one ISA slot:-)
    Have you come to some (unofficial)informations about replacing the crystal on the EWS64? (I mean, how can we make it receive a clock from some other card, but still think it?s in internal sync, hehe)??? I?d like to sync all my cards (Like TT?s ClockWork, which unfortunatey doesn?t work for our EWS64). If you ever come across such kind of info, please keep me on your list:-)))
    Regards
    Daniele

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12