Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Price

  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member Rvito's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does anyone know what a pair of 19's Sold for New back in the Day?????Just Wondering

  2. #2
    Inactive Member gearjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Well like I said in the other post those are the prices that I got. I bought mine from first owner in Milwaukee and he told me he paid $1200 and I saw a pair in Grand Forks north dakota in a hi-fi shop in 1977 and that was the price as well. Also I saw a pair at the local altec dealer in Winnipeg around the same time and they had a pair tagged at $2400can. But you could get them to sell at $2200. But the thing is in 1977 I could dream but could not buy.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member gearjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Also I figure someone will ask how much I paid, so I might as well post that as well. $800.00 U.S.
    They are in walnut and in mint condition with alnico drivers top and bottom. I do not use the base, but instead float the cabinets 2" with solid foam insulation blocks set back from the edges of cabinet which does indeed give it a floating look. I have owned these for 3 years.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    $1200/pr, new, in '77 for a large consumer speaker?! Wow, that's a heck of a deal compared to $425/ea distributor net in '72 for an unassembled A7-500.

    GM

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    The real question is, how much is 1977 $1200 in todays money?
    I bought new A7's in 77 for $389 each....in the boxes, 416-8B, 511 horns, N1200 Xovers and 802-8G's. Granted it was a wharehouse sale and they were called "disco speakers", but just the same.
    Still have all of the parts.............
    Ron

  6. #6
    Inactive Member gearjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    Well You could go round and round trying to figure out or comparing yesterdays money to todays money, but I will say this I am earning about 10 times the income today compared to 1977 so even if I was to purchase a item at the same dollar amount as it sold for when new I am only paying 10 percent of what it cost back in 1977 in terms of time spent to generate the money to make the purchase today.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member armandh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    102
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    immagine what $1200 invested with these guys would be today http://members.arstechnica.com/x/armandh2/MS1978.jpg

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    Interesting! I was long gone from being active in audio by '77, but was under the impression that Altec didn't go downhill until the early '80s when I learned JBL was getting the contracts on most of the new local cinema installs, with B*** getting the rest, but the '77 'blowout' warehouse pricing and low consumer audio prices implies otherwise.

    Anyway, if you're making ~10x more than then you're doing pretty good since the average rate of inflation has only gone up ~2.26x according to this: http://inflationdata.com/inflation/I...Calculator.asp

    GM

  9. #9
    Inactive Member JimRoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To confuse the issue I have an original copy of the Feb 1978 High Fidelity Magazine test of the Model 19. They wrote that the Model 19 sold for $749. This appears to be for each speaker.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member armandh's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    102
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    so AR stood the HI-FI world on it's ear and things have not been the same, huge speakers have had the feminist veto and banished from the living room ever since

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.