Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: @billfort

  1. #1
    Hostboard Member klausesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Bill!

    fine to see you! i lost your mail adress some year ago and was very occupied so i didn?t proceed my speaker-work.

    best fom Duesseldorf, Klaus

  2. #2
    Inactive Member billfort's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Klaus, nice to hear from you. I remember you where going to mess around with smaller cabinets for your 604E?s and I think I suggested big ? around 9ft3 ? and it seems from your other post that you found bigger is better. I was a little surprised by this myself, especially with the E, but we really found that a 9ft3/40Hz 620 copy sounded better than a 7ft3 box with my friend?s E?s.

    Looks like you are about to dive into the crossover quagmire now and please keep me posted on how things work out. I?ve been living with the stock piece for my G?s but have a bunch of things to try out when I get my new listening room complete and get everything set back up.

    I?ll email you my addy again.

    Bill

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member klausesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Bill!

    You?re right - as you were so right some time ago, as i learned forums - the bigger one is very fine! A swift, yet deep and dry bass - i like it!
    Now i try to find damping material to replace the (as they say: cancer-generating) glass-fiber-wool.

    I?m gonna try that accoustic-foam, which is available for some narrow-band damping in addition with Polyester or nature wool for broader-band damping. I think i?ll do the "old fashioned" damping on back, one side and on the top and just glue some 2 - 3cm thick felt on the rest . . . ? What would you say?

    Got some heavy stiffening on back, side and bottom/top with birch 6x8cm diagonal glued on.

    As i feel, the cab. doesn?t need dampening beside this - but what?s strange to me is the real big port of about 45x10cm . . . .

    When i?m finished i?ll do some measuring - don?t know the parameter?s the same after some 30 years forums

    will keep you informed . .

    best to you, Klaus

  4. #4
    Inactive Member billfort's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It sounds like you can get inside the cabinet easy enough so I'd try to keep everything 'reversible' and experiment. I used plain old fiber-glass pink insulation in mine (about 50mm) and found I liked it best as you mentioned - on the back, top and 1 side wall. I like the other walls bare and found insulation everywhere can make the speakers sound 'dead' and lifeless.

    Maybe a personal preference thing and the results may change with different cabinet constructions (mine are heavily braced Baltic birch) so I'd try a few techniques.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.