Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: history

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner tomt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2003
    Posts
    5,483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post


  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Fantastic, thats one I've never seen before. Six type 50's I imagine in PPP ( Parallel Push-Pull).
    I wonder what a pair of those would be like driving my A-7's.. Right now I'm driving the A-7's with my Wurlitzer monoblocks. These are Jukebox amps from the late 1930's. They are all DHT's (2) type 30's driving a 45 IT coupled to a pair of 45's or 2A3's to custom Electra-Print OPT's.
    I love the sound of the A-7's with these old DHT amps. I had them sound cranked last night for a while with the Wurlitzers pushing ... Aquarium Rescue Unit and the Colonel were Kicking!
    Sure hope someone gets this ole gal and bring her back to the Glory am sure she once held.
    Have fun!
    Willie

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    drummerwill: Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea what I was looking at, and to me it was just another "junky," old tube amp. Appearently this is a very historical piece of audio equipment.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Tomt, that is really some amp. They may have gotten 30 or 40 watts out of all those 50s, an almost unheard of power level at that time. RCA marketed a direct radiator theatre speaker system in the late 1920s that used vertical arrays of six 15" woofers on either side of the screen. Perhaps this amplifier was used to drive those systems.

    Back in those days RCA was a distribution company that had not yet developed manufacturing capability. Westinghouse, General Electric or Victor Talking Machine Co. probably made this amplifier for them. Many of the 1920s RCA products share the chocolate brown color.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member David Yost's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2002
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here are a couple of oldies from my personal stash.

    3

    2

    These are out of a theatre built in 29. The first is a MI-4237 driver amp using push pull 245s and the second is a MI-4255 with push pull 845s. Not quite sure when these amps were built but the rack was plastered into one of the walls so I?m thinking they must be early. They are the oldest I have ever seen and built like tanks.

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner tomt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2003
    Posts
    5,483
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by martyh45:
    These are out of a theatre built in 29.

    the rack was plastered into one of the walls so

    I?m thinking they must be early.

    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">did the rack have the name photophone,

    on the nameplate?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.