Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Wings

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I noticed some VOTT have wings at both sides of the cabs. May I know what is the function of the wings?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    They lower the baffle step point where the speaker's radiation transfers from half to full space, or in the case of a Hi-Fi app where the speaker is up against a wall, smoothes the transistion into the room gain response.

    If you have the depth available, angling the wings forward up to 90 deg included to mimic corner loading is desirable and if there's enough room gain, then the cab tuning can be lowered, somtimes enough to obviate the need for a sub with most music.

    GM

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks GM.

    I have a pair of JBL L222 which I'm not using. What I did was to turn the baffle facing the side walls, the angled sides of the L222 cabs sort of form wings angled at both sides. I noticed a slight gain in low freq. I'll try to post picture soon.

    Will play with this config for a while.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.