Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The 1218As have sold - so unless you bought them you can save your friend a trip. I hope they are going to a good home.

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

He bought them today. Again thanks so much for the heads up. He is a musician with a small recording studio and he called me on the road with the speakers in his van and was just thrilled to death. He doesn't know much about Altec history but he was blown away by the efficiency. He said the pictures on the web didn't do the speakers justice and that they were in exceedingly good condition.

He will take meticulous care of them I'm sure.
    I'm glad they found a good home.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, classic good news - bad news. I'm delighted that he got them, but his glowing description doesn't make me feel better that I didn't. Maybe now I need to drive to OKC for the other pair. Hah! (Good home for these is good!)

Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

I live in Tyler, TX...and I have a friend who lives in Norman OK, and I took him with me to Great Plains Audio when I refurbished my duplexes. If I can help out...picking them up or getting them over to Great Plains or whatever let me know. Don't worry this guy isn't interested in these speakers. forums But he could be some help for you this time!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well how's this for strange. I live in Bellaire, Texas (the largest city in Houston). I got a quote from UPS to deliver the 1218As from Ithaca to Bellaire at $85 each. Not bad - I figured that the original covers were meant to take normal shipping/handling abuse so would probably be ok. The ones in OKC don't have the covers, so that's a bit problematic as they might have to be packed - adding to the cost. But the strange part is that UPS wants $125 each to ship from OKC!! Seems to me it's about half the distance - and is half again as expensive. Go figure. My inlaws live in OKC, but have trouble getting themselves around let alone anything else. And they would know nothing about these speakers other than whether they looked beat up. (I'm still stewing on this one, but thanks for your offer of help.)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't not bid on them just because I did. If your friend finds that they are in good condition and you want them - go for it. If, after talking to your friend when he's seen them, you think they're worth $500 (actually $700 for me because of shipping), let me know - I still may get them. I feel this urge to be sure that none of the hoarders get these speakers... <g>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12