Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: SWEET!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just got an MRII564 off ebay for 99 cents, plus 9.61 shipping!

    I'm so happy.

    Caution: The rest of this post is just thinking out loud...I'm just so happy with the 99cent horn purchase!

    I bet the drummers will be happy when I pair this up with a 906 driver on the drum monitor. I use the 906 drivers that I have with EV DH2012 diaphragms, they work sweet and have a better sound than the 906's did.

    I'm afraid to put my 291-16b on there without some major support work, it's pretty heavy. the 906 driver is quite a bit lighter.

    Right now I have a 18" JBL and a 12" EAW in the cabinet, but I"m thinking of making a different drum monitor with 4 of the 12" EAW's and the horn on top. Bi-amped of course.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 08, 2008 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Charles Clark ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Score one for the C-man!

    Just too bad it didn't come along a couple years ago when you needed it. forums

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the only reason I got this cheap was because it's a single.

    I do have 2 pairs in the garage still though :-)

    This one that I got is still grey with the altec sticker, a couple of my others are painted black, so I'll use one of them in the drum monitor and put this one up for safe keeping for now.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    Score one for the C-man!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, that's my nickname too. forums

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So I got my horn in today.

    Serial number 0007.

    sweet.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Charles Clark:
    I just got an MRII564 off ebay for 99 cents, plus 9.61 shipping!

    I'm so happy.

    Caution: The rest of this post is just thinking out loud...I'm just so happy with the 99cent horn purchase!

    I bet the drummers will be happy when I pair this up with a 906 driver on the drum monitor. I use the 906 drivers that I have with EV DH2012 diaphragms, they work sweet and have a better sound than the 906's did.

    I'm afraid to put my 291-16b on there without some major support work, it's pretty heavy. the 906 driver is quite a bit lighter.

    Right now I have a 18" JBL and a 12" EAW in the cabinet, but I"m thinking of making a different drum monitor with 4 of the 12" EAW's and the horn on top. Bi-amped of course.

    <font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ June 08, 2008 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Charles Clark ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Charles,
    It is my sad duty to inform you that the Altec 906 is a relabeled EV DH2012. A new EV diaphragm simply puts it back to original.

    A little 906 history:
    Altec Lansing repeatedly submitted the 299 driver to THX for approval and was turned down due to a dip in response at 11kHz, even though it sounded better than all competitors. The dip in the response cannot (and should not) be corrected with EQ. Altec relabeled the DH2012 and submitted it because it was already approved. BTW, we think THX was denying Altec approvals out of spite. It is said THX approached Altec first with their idea of a movie standard and was turned down . . . JBL got on board and was the favored brand for years.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    GaryZ
    Altec relabeled the DH2012 and submitted it because it was already approved
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">In order to get the A-10 up and running again.
    GPA would have to get their diaphragm "model D2" from EV.

    The 906 diaphragm listed in the repair parts is not an EV model or is it?

    .........................

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 21, 2008 11:10 AM: Message edited by: CONVERGENCE ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member cclark65's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2003
    Posts
    339
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That sounds right for the DH2012 and 906 driver being the same thing. The 906 diaphragms I removed the first time were 16 ohm, and I put 8 ohm 2012's in, I am sure that's why I felt the 2012's were better because my amp put more power to them.

    That being said, I have used 8ohm 906's also and not been able to tell the difference.

    Attach a DH1A diaphragm to it and you can tell, but the output isn't as high as the EV DH1a because the magnet is smaller on the 2012/906. I do know that the smaller magnet structure was used on the MT series that EV had though.

    Either way, the 906 type magnet will have a lot less weight then the 291-16B I have spare on the shelf, and I doubt a drummer, or 99% of the musicians I work with, would be able to tell the difference anyway.

    On the other hand, thanks for the history lesson. I knew that they were the same driver, but I thought Altec had it and EV bought it, so I'll have to brush up on my history!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.