Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: A7----515?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What advantages might there be with running 515s in the 828 cabinet?

    Dave

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    A7----515?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Dave- not sure what your question is exactly. Are you asking the advantadges of the 515 over the 416? or just the good and bad about the 515?

    The 803 which became the 416 was originally a lighter magnet version of the 515. But there's been a number of changes thru the years.
    Check here:

    http://www.wmeckle.com/INTRO/intro.htm

    Note you'll have to read both the large and small format sections to see all the speaker versions.

    If you are looking for the best speaker for that box, it would be IMHO the 416B or the 515G.

    The 515g is the one I would prefer. Hope this answers your question, if not feel free to elaborate.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mine have the 416b. What I am curious about is this; What difference would there be between the two.
    (I.E.-Would the 515 have deeper bass extension?)

    Dave

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    A7----515?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi again Dave-

    Opinions may vary a little here. Mine is between those two- the 416B asnd the 515G- primarily the 515 will be more efficient because of it's stonger magnet assembly.

    The 515g may go a little lower. I think the difference there might be marginal.

    I'd say if you've got 416B's by all means go ahead and use them. It was a heckuva speaker for it's day. As I understand it, Altec thought it's day was over and discontinued it, several years later had to bring it back. It's my favorite of the 803/416 series.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Okay,
    Thanks, Bro.

    By the way, kind of off topic. What part of Ohio are you in? I was born-n-raised in Newton Falls, (Youngstown-Warren area). Good to see a fellow Buckeye in here!

    Dave

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    A7----515?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Dave- I'm in Columbus- grew up in the country about 40 mile west of here. Moved to the city to go to college(Ohio State). Wound up staying.

    Fairly decent opportunities for tech type people in the state capital. Now I'm too old and lazy to move.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member dread64's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2006
    Posts
    62
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've thought about moving back, to be closer to family, etc. Might have to look at the Columbus area. Not too many opportunities for anyone in the Youngstown/Warren area these days. I love it here in Virginia, but the older a Dude gets, his priorities change. I have relatives I don't really even know anymore. And that's just wrong.

    'Nuff said about that.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with my 416b's.

    Dave

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In my experience the 515B in the 825 cabinet does better midrange and the 416 goes lower and does better bass. Pick your poison.

    Personally I preferred the 515s and subwoofer augmentation below 100hz.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    A7----515?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Tom,

    Thanks that's good to know. I've got very limited experience with 515B's and i'm sure I'll get asked some day.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Personally I preferred the 515s and subwoofer augmentation below 100hz.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greets!

    Me too!

    GM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.