Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 846A's

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm curious to know what the time line is for the Valencia's. Mainly the 846A models. I bought mine in 1966 so I know their approximate age. I just picked up a pair so I can refinish the cabinets and replace my cabinets which are beat.

    The fretwork is plastic in these and in mine they are wood. Also these have the thin cover over the horn driver whereas mine have about a 3/4" piece of MDF.

    So I'm assuming these are later models. I'm hoping to use the wood grills out of my old ones in these newer cabinets. Does anyone have a lead on the brown grill cloth that goes between the drivers and the wooden fretwork?

    Another question, does anyone think the fretwork detracts from the sound? Mine are bi-amped and sound wonderful to me. However I could just be fooling myself but I don't think so. forums

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member rghinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    149
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't know if it is a match but this is what I ordered for the Valencia's that I am building. It is very nice but inexpensive enough that you won't has lost much if you don't like it. Part Number 26-339. One yard by 70" is 6.90 + shipping. It is from "Parts Express". Their site is parts-express.com or their phone number is 1-800-338-0531.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you very much Reed. I appreciate your help. I can't wait to get home and see what all needs to be done. With my limited wood working skills I may have to beg the "Feesh" to make another road trip forums

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The feesh ain't no woodworker, no sir. To date, his primary wood skill is making it burn.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You know I couldn't do that Mike.

    My comment was a reflection on my recent slavery to a chainsaw and hungry woodstove, in preference over slavery to a greedy electric utility.

    That, and frustration over a never-ending project of my own that I occasionally feel like burning. forums

    Nice score!

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've cut my own firewood for 25 years and I'm to the point where it's not a heck of a lot of fun anymore forums

    However, neither is freezing so I still cut and split it forums This year I borrowed a wood splitter and life was good.

    The reason I got those Vals reasonable was the owner was assured they wouldn't end up overseas or on fleabay.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    By Jove Feesh, I think you've got it. I'll part'em out on fleabay and you can burn the cabinets forums Like that will ever happen. They're in need of work but so are we all.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Vals can be made to sound very nice indeed. I doubt the grills have much to do with anything.

    I too slaved with the wood cutting ordeal for more years then I care to mention. It was a Love/Hate relationship for sure.

    Two years ago I found a tiny little Russo coal stove for $50 at a yard sale and I know for sure I will never cut another cord of wood as long as I live. This stove is a monster and the colder it gets the better it heats yet it takes up less room then a good sized bookshelf speaker.

    Two trips to the coal place and about $350 for the entire winter and I am set. No more chains, broken rear windows and back breaking work for this fellow. I get it all done in less then a day and just crank up the warm tunes!

    Gary

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Mike Gibson

    I'm curious to know what the time line is for the Valencia's. Mainly the 846A models. I bought mine in 1966 so I know their approximate age. I just picked up a pair so I can refinish the cabinets and replace my cabinets which are beat.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Here is the Valencia breakdown:

    846 A 8-16 ohms HF 806-A LF 416-16Z XO N800-F

    846 B 8 ohms HF 806 8-A LF 416 -8a XO N800-K

    846 U 8 ohms HF 806 8-A LF 416-8B X0 N800-K


    HORN 811

    .....

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank you Convergence, both pair are from the first iteration then. So the plastic fretwork started earlier than I had imagined.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.