Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 9846-8A

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    These have the 411 woofer with an 811 horn and maybe the 802-8G driver.

    What do you guys think a set is worth?

    I have my eye on a pair.

    Ron

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually a 511 Ron, 802-8D is likely the driver.

    I think the early 411's also had a half round, inverted, doped cloth surround with later ones being foam.

    I'm finally in the process of reassembling mine after some body work and paint.

    My WAG is that early models had symbiotik diaphragms in them, or so it would seem from the FR plot in this 1971 sheet.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...itor/page3.jpg

    In the '75 pro catalog the claimed FR is 25hz-20khz.

    I might have paid on the high side for mine at 700, but it was at a time when i had the cash on hand and was shopping for a pair of Altecs using the 411 woofer(Barcelona's on ebay had just sold for 1500 in bad shape), seller was a board member here and the price is/was less than the value of all the components seperately(as they sell on ebay), so i took the plunge, no regrets.

    I have a second floor dedicated listening room that seems to be ideal for these, a slight departure from the typical 15 inch two way Altec sound and efficiency, but these things have a low end that other Altecs can't touch in this room.

    IMO, the woofer benefits from the damping of a robust solid state amplifier.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A friend picked up a pair for $500 last year. He gave me $300 to replace the foam, 'frams, and a few caps, and he's still grinnin' like a baked possum. forums

    If you get them, check out the caps on the 30904s, all 6 I've checked had drifted quite a bit.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bowtie427ss:
    ...802-8D is likely the driver.

    ...early models had symbiotik diaphragms in them, or so it would seem from the FR plot...

    In the '75 pro catalog the claimed FR is 25hz-20khz.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">9846As used 808s, and it appears the early ones didn't use the EQ network, as evidenced by the '71 plot.

    9846Bs (biamped), with foam, 802s, and EQ "got it right";

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...-8b/page03.jpg

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 14, 2008 09:36 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Ah, so there was a -8B version that had better HF drivers and the EQ circuit.
    I have plenty of spare HF tangerine drivers.

    From the picture, it appears that these have the outward facing foam surrounds as opposed to the original inverted half cloth roll. May have been reconed, or had the surrounds replaced. The fellow told me the surrounds are in good shape.

    511 huh, cool!

    I'll call the guy this evening and see if I can go see them on Sat. He wants $1800, I was thinking more like $500. Hard to say where I live if they will get any interest. But if they are gone by Sat, no loss.

    I have heard that these have awesome bass. I have some 411's that I use for subs.

    It isn't like I need any more Altecs...but WTF! I'm seriously thinking of putting together an all vacuum tube powered home theatre setup. Well, subs would be powered by SS.

    Ron

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Guess I should qualify that the plot I linked (which may be the prettiest Altec-published, 2-way plot ever) was biamped with +6dB on the LF amp, and a passive (30923) EQ/attenuator.

    Who says 802s can't do 20k? Or you have to have a massive horn to get 30? Biamp. EQ. Done deal.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RonSS:
    ...it appears that these have the outward facing foam surrounds as opposed to the original inverted half cloth roll. May have been reconed, or had the surrounds replaced...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They could easily be factory originals with foam. I don't know exactly when, but Altec recognized the failings of the old surrounds and built the rest with foam. At least by '76, they were foam. I suspect they changed about the time the last 413 was out the door (don't think 413s ever got foam new).

    Interestingly, some of the oft-repeated critical "reviews" of the 411 were based on the dud early surrounds with their low-milage loss of control and audible Xmech.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 15, 2008 01:51 AM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Gang, Life has been coming at me fast lately leaving me
    with little computer time, but I'll be here if needed.
    The 9846 models should follow the info in the Driver Reference Guide.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ers/page11.jpg

    Its primary purpose was a studio monitor, but if it was ordered for a
    large venue application, it would be outfitted with the symbiotic to
    handle more power. You have to look at the fram to see what your getting.

    Jim D. was there, when they first came out, and hopefully he will show up here.

    Hope everyone is well and I see the Tornado's missed Bfish. Art.........

    forums

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    These are the -8A version.
    I'm going to go look on Sat if they aren't already sold. I'll take a screwdriver and an ohm meter. They have 1/4" plug in jacks, so I can't listen to them.
    <font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ February 16, 2008 01:43 AM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font></font>

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 16, 2008 01:44 AM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font>

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, I have a bad cold and wasn't able to go look see. But the owner called me and we talked (incredible, it block'd ******d?) for a bit. Hopefully I can go see on Wed or Thurs.
    They are looking for an Altec lover to buy...I'm the guy.
    So, do all of these have the EQ circuit installed? And what exactly does that do? Match efficiencies?
    I've looked on line, and there just isn't a ton of info on these.
    Art, thanks for the spec sheet....saved that in mt collection.
    If I can get these, I'll restore them. Looks like they could use a little body work, and new orig paint...they are supposed to be grey right? Can we still get the right color?
    I'm not really a collector, but sure would like to add these to my meager collection.

    Ron

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 17, 2008 02:16 AM: Message edited by: RonSS ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28222319 times.