Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Pascalite

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RKLee:
    So what's the diff between a Pascalite and a Symbiotek diaphram?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AFAIK the Symbiotik is the same aluminum as the Alum fram, but most have a brownish Mylar surround- this tends to break less at high power than the aluminum surround- downside is less HF response, the traditional trade for power handling.

    Radian diaphragms are very similar to Symbiotiks, but better.

    Most people use the aluminum for home use, Pascalites or Radians for pro live use.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed. Since RonSS was going to use a JBL 2405/077 super-tweeter, this hi-freq fall off is not an issue if he plans to the use non-aluminum diaphrams. This was the reason that I suggest a crossover of roughly 7KHz because to my ears, the fall-off starts around 10KHz.

    I have an Altec 414/806/811 combo with an EV T350 as a super-tweeter. To my ears I don't hear a harshness that from the Symbiotek diaphrams possibly because I suspect that the highs are being produced by the T350, which doesn't have this problem.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Since RonSS was going to use a JBL 2405/077 super-tweeter, this hi-freq fall off is not an issue if he plans to the use non-aluminum diaphrams. This was the reason that I suggest a crossover of roughly 7KHz because to my ears, the fall-off starts around 10KHz.
    [/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not me man! No JBL stuff in my house.


    forums

    Ron

  3. #13
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nothing wrong with JBL stuff if your pockets are deep enough and you have an in with a good repair outlet.

    I would certainly make room for some if the right deal came past me but so far in my area of the country, Altec seems to rule the roost.

    I have listened to a few very nice JBL systems but it sure seemed like it took twice as much cash to get a little better speaker when compared with my Altecs.

    Gary

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RonSS:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Since RonSS was going to use a JBL 2405/077 super-tweeter, this hi-freq fall off is not an issue if he plans to the use non-aluminum diaphrams. This was the reason that I suggest a crossover of roughly 7KHz because to my ears, the fall-off starts around 10KHz.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not me man! No JBL stuff in my house.


    forums

    Ron[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oops wrong thread. There was another member that was going to use a JBL 2405/077. The poster was "bottle-neck," in this thread:
    http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult.../f/3729/t/3542

    Sorry, my bad.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by gamalot:
    Nothing wrong with JBL stuff if your pockets are deep enough and you have an in with a good repair outlet.

    I would certainly make room for some if the right deal came past me but so far in my area of the country, Altec seems to rule the roost.

    I have listened to a few very nice JBL systems but it sure seemed like it took twice as much cash to get a little better speaker when compared with my Altecs.

    Gary
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry to get a bit off-topic. Cost was also a factor in selecting Altec 414/806/811 & EV T350 for my speakers in 1975. If I remember correctly, at that time JBL prices to the consumer, LE15s were $175 each, JBL LE175s HF drivers were $150, LE85 were like $200, and the 075 was $125. And of course the flagship 2" JBL 375 was like $300. The Altec 414s were $80 each, 806 drivers were $80 each, 811 horns were $95 each. I paid $65 each for EV T350s. There was no way that I was going to pay double the money for JBLs as full time college student/part-time worker. In hindsight today, I think should've splurged a bit and got the Altec 511 horn instead of the 811 and crossed it over at 500Hz.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 30, 2008 05:23 PM: Message edited by: RKLee ]</font>

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I like JBL stuff too. I just don't own any of it. I did have a pair of their horn drivers with the titanium frams. I didn't care for the sound. They were high power versions and were quite rolled off on the 511 horns.

    Take apart a JBL driver, and guess what, they look the same inside as an Altec. Of course they come from the same lineage.

    Friends have bought the TAD drivers with berylium frams. Cost no object. I think the tangerine Altecs sound better. At a fraction of the price. I could never even get them to borrow my 802-8G's to compare.

    Ron

  7. #17
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You got that right Ron!

    One thing I have learned about us audio folks is we are very brand sensative. I'm fine with other friends systems and a few of them with JBLs and TAD speakers sound quite nice.

    They have no use at all for any Altecs but I honestly believe they are just jealous about how nice they sound in my system and at way less then half of what they spent.

    My buddies wife got herself in trouble here one evening because she loves the clone 19 cabinets I made and after cranking them for a couple of her favorite songs she said they sound just as nice as our speakers (JBL L 300s) and the mission oak style and smaller size would fit in our living room much better. He had daggers in his eyes and she never mentioned another word about them. LOL

    Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.