Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Your Opinions, Please!

Hi Todd,
    I was talking about a knockdown sleeve if you will. the guys I talked to were talking about a set of panels made out of 3/4 inch material that would fit snuggly around the gray cabs. would be funiture grade, ie prettier and also reinforce the cabinets by adding mass to the whole cab. a large one piece grille with stretch frame grille cloth would cover both the internal horn and the woofer horn area with one large grille as opposed to the factory originals that only covered half of that area. I have also entertained sheet veneer, but have run into snags at the local level in finding someone who would have it available or order it. its also not very inexpensive. I think it was going to run about three or four hundred in just the veneer, not including any kind of grille. anyway, thats where I stalled and we now listen to the usual battleship gray cabs. they sound great but leave alittle to be desired cosmetically! I think an actual build of a cab like a magnificent would get costly and shipping would be very high.
    thanks,
    scott in nc

Senior Hostboard Member endeeinn's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Your Opinions, Please!

I'd be up for a 'knocked down flat panel' kit. I have 825 cabs now but also have the prospect of 'downsized' retirement home in the near future. In addition my system would be downsized to a Stonehenge 604/605/704 type system. I don't own the proper equipment to make all the precise cuts required (may also be the case with some/most?) other DIYer's but am capable of assembly and finishing the cabinet. I would envision a knockdown kit designed/ported for a series of drivers as above. The only thing in the kit (aside from a proven design) would be those precision cut panels. Optional packages/items might include bracing, screws, t-nuts, gaskets, grill cloth, etc. all the things that DIYer?s might have on hand or obtain easily don?t need to be provided to keep purchasing and shipping costs down. Essentially the kit would provide the items that may not be easy to get (13 ply high density plywood or whatever is used), require special equipment and/or skill (precision cuts, mounting holes, biscuit joining, etc), and of course a proven design with porting requirements for suitable drivers with end result a DIY cabinet that doesn?t look DIY.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123