Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Sacd

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Sacd

    There's 5000 titles available half of which is classic the other jazz and some popular.
    Now Sony has 3 decks one which stores 400 disc's and claims to play video CD and sacd.
    price $399 PS sacd is in stereo only.

    The other unit is for sacd ,cd, dvd singles with audio output for sacd in 6 channel . price 3999$


    Something doesn't jive here.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Sacd

    I tried the whole sacd hoopla years ago, but for very cheap. I used a pioneer 563a universal player


    The huge lack of popular music back turned me off..... only so much classical and jazz... but i did manage to try new things, but i like rock ,, and it is very lacking the genres I like....

    but others have found satisfaction in the format....


    I am moving away form any spinning disk formats and have been compiling and ripping all my disk to a HD.


    With downloaded music becoming the norm and hi-rez tracks out there available, I think you will see decline in time to cd's and sacd's,, but it was said of that about the LP when cd's came out,, but it has had a huge resurgence too... who reallys knows.... time will play it out in the end...





    I still have a ways to go......



    later...


    -chris

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sacd

    I have a low end Sony DVD/CD/SACD thing a few SACD discs. The problem I find is that the SACD stream is not available on the digital out, so you're stuck with the Sony DAC and analog circuits.

    May have to hack into it some day and hijack the DSD stream. But as Oface says, moving to all tracks on the compuer is the way to go. Going that way myself.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Sacd

    Ditto. Though to it's credit, my Sony DVD/SACD/CDR is still the pick of my humble array of drive/DAC options, signifigantly so.

    I belong to the hard drive library club too. CDs get ripped then go to the truck.

    Edit:
    That's the same truck that just got rear-ended an hour ago. Saw it coming but couldn't get out of the way. Smacked me hard enough to knock the mirror off my windsheild. Totaled the litlle car that hit me, only got my rear bumper (no one hurt). Biggest drag was I learned my DL expired last month at the expense of a ticket...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Sacd

    Oh- that sux! Glad you're OK, as well as the truck.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Sacd

    Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Biggest drag was I learned my DL expired last month at the expense of a ticket...

    man , that does definitely suck....... Did they cop give you a break???



    -chris

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Sacd

    Sort of... he let me call a friend to drive me and my truck the 2 miles home instead of having it towed.

    Been scratching my head ever since on how I'm gonna get to the license bureau tomorrow without risking another ticket (or getting fired)...

    Suggest everyone takes a minute to check your license.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Sacd

    Wow what a bummer!

    Here we can pay our licence renewall at the bank just like any other utility bill like cable telephone etc...

    Hope things work out .

    As for the Pro Tool and other software for our computers .Will we need a new disck drive .
    Because the light that reads the SACD is different than a CD.

    By the way SACD has a dynamic range of 120 DB and frequency range of 20 to 50 KHZ.1 BIT ,2822.4KHZ.
    CD`s have a dynamic range of 93 DB and Frequency range of 20 to 20 KHZ.

    The I tunes pay per download are all lossy (compressed).

    The reason is that record companies don't want us to have a 24 bit 98 khz copy of their master tape.Just like the heads on our old vcr only had two while the broadcast beta cam has four.If they keep the amount of songs to no more than 12 on each CD then they don't have to compress so much.

    Like the Digital projectors 2k in cinema's . They get their feed from a special locked satellite feed .They download it into a special HARD DISK HD player built exclusively for those projectors.

    Or if you have a HD digital Video broadcast player . You could receive by mail the casette tapes. But beware the heads are prown to wear .

    ..................

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Sacd

    Major bummer! Glad you seem to be OK, but these kinds of accidents have a way of coming back to haunt you later, especially WRT spinal, leg/foot problems (been there, done that as have some of my friends).

    My license doesn't expire until 7-2016, so just hope I'm physically/financially still able to drive by then.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Sacd

    And what about all those recordings that were made on DAT R in the 90's and DASH . They no longer manufacture DAT R or DASH . The question is how will all these recordings be stored.
    So to all you Recording studios keep those decks and your analogue one also. We might
    lose millions of original recordings.


    Companies like Harman (STUDER) and Sony seem to have a monopoly on these machines.


    .......................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.