Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Discussion....

  1. #41
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Discussion....

    OT, but another "standards" scam is LEED, by the Green Building Council. A building owner pays a hefty 5-30 percent premium for a LEED AP to document the construction process. He could get exactly the same result by merely telling the architect he wants above-average efficiency, IAQ, and friendlier materials. All the owner gets for those extra $ is a certificate to hang on the wall. The AP gets rich.

    I'm all for better efficiency, air quality, etc, but I'm to the point that the word green makes me sick. Behind almost every use of it is some con man padding his offshore account.

    Added;
    (All except Altec green of course)...
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  2. #42
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Discussion....

    Ok someone please tell me why anyone would want or need to use an amp as a motor control.

    I'm missing something here.

  3. #43
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Discussion....

    saw an altec 260 the other day on the bay, may still be on there..was removed from service powering a vynil cutting lathe, weighed in at 165 lbs!
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  4. #44
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Discussion....

    Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    Ok someone please tell me why anyone would want or need to use an amp as a motor control.

    I'm missing something here.
    I'm not sure why it would be used over a VFD, but using one over a switch would be that you can control the speed of the motor.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #45
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Discussion....

    Quote Originally Posted by valhallax View Post
    saw an altec 260 the other day on the bay, may still be on there..was removed from service powering a vynil cutting lathe, weighed in at 165 lbs!
    Even more, the altec literature and the auction claim 186 lbs.

    The ebay auction is what prompted my search for info on the amp. I don't know what I'd do with it, but I thought about bidding.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #46
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Discussion....

    I can buy a variable speed motor controller for a fraction of the cost of that amp!

  7. #47
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Discussion....

    Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    I can buy a variable speed motor controller for a fraction of the cost of that amp!

    Now yes, maybe not then, and I'm thinking the amp may yield finer adjustment. I think this type of thing was done in testing situations, where precise control was needed.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #48
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Discussion....

    Maybe Black & Decker will set up their own standard to certify amps that can run their drill motors properly.

    They could even create a test tone called "Deep Hole".

  9. #49
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Discussion....

    It was motor controllers that got me interested in Class-D amps back in the late 80s, early 90s.

    We used a set of 4 controllers that took 220V AC in, converted it to DC then made 220V AC 3 phase to run the motors. The chopper circuits ran at about 22KHz.

    The way the motor speed was controlled was to vary the frequency of the 220V sine wave. The higher the frequency, the faster the motor turned. And because it was always full voltage, it was always full power. Same as for the amp motor controllers mentioned above. The controller could also apply DC to act as a brake. The 3 phase allowed the direction of rotation to be controlled. Using Class-D (switching) just meant they were more efficient than a linear amp or PSU. They worked great. Made by Citroen.

  10. #50
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Discussion....

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    The way the motor speed was controlled was to vary the frequency of the 220V sine wave. The higher the frequency, the faster the motor turned. And because it was always full voltage, it was always full power. Same as for the amp motor controllers mentioned above. The controller could also apply DC to act as a brake. The 3 phase allowed the direction of rotation to be controlled. Using Class-D (switching) just meant they were more efficient than a linear amp or PSU. They worked great. Made by Citroen.
    That was what I was would call a VFD (variable frequency drive).
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.