Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: 9880-8a?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    9880-8a?

    Anyone familiar with these?
    18" long throw woofer in a 5.1 cubit foot vented enclosure.
    Woofer is a 3818

    A pair for sale locally for $250.

    Ron

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 9880-8a?

    They don't look like much fun below 50hz, the FR plot on the PDF rolls off so steep below 50 that it appears hi pass filtered, i suppose that's characteristic of the box and it's tuning?

    Looks like in lieu of really low, they'll play really loud.

    The pdf also mentions the cabs are constructed of OSB, i'm assuming something a bit different than the OSB we see used for economy sheathing in construction.

    250 is probably a bargain, i'd think just the drivers alone would easily be worth that.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 9880-8a?

    My 9864-8A is made of OSB. The chips/strands are a bit smaller than what I've seen at the big box home centers, but larger than particle board.

    OSB is supposed to be close to plywood in rigidity..... I'd use it over MDF. In fact, I probably will use it, if I ever get in a position where I can build some cabinets.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 9880-8a?

    The 9880-8A is loaded with a Gauss 18" woofer and yes, it was designed for loud music. The woofer is the famous dual spider design that was supposed to stay linear thoughout its travel. A very nice, hard hitting, high power subwoofer.

    This reminds me of a call that I got when I was working for Altec. The guy wanted info on subwoofers and which one might fit his needs. He wanted them for a disco in the Caribbean.

    BTW: Disco only died in the US. It still lives in the rest of the world, even today.

    I asked him if he wanted to go low or go loud. He said definitely low. I explained that for his needs there wasn't much material down low and he was giving up 5dB in efficiency. He insisted, so I recommended the 8154 system. He bought four systems.

    He called me back about a three months later and wanted to know how to get louder. I told him he would need more speakers and more power amps. No budget for all of that. I suggested replacing the 3154 woofers with 3156 woofers. He ordered four.

    About a month goes by and he called again. He was blown away by the difference using 3156 woofers! The response speed and "hit" are amazing with the 3156 in an appropriate cab. I have four 8 cu.ft. cabs (model 8254) loaded with 3156 woofers and they are great.
    Experience is Knowledge

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: 9880-8a?

    It's a Gauss woofer? Not an Altec? Doesn't make it much of an Altec in my book. Had altec sold out at that point?

    I have a pair of 8184's with real Altec 18's in them and they are wonderful!
    I really don't need these then. but am always a sucker for a good deal.

    He also has a pair of duplexes in cabs, the duplexes with the sort of clover leaf horn in the middle. I think those were 950?

    And he has 2 horns that look like 511 with drivers, but they look bigger, the photo is very fuzzy...another cell phone photo no doubt.

    I have asked the seller to give more details.

    BTW...has anyone captured all this data?

    Altec Lansing Professional Audio - Vintage Speakers

    Awesome source and I think I remember Todd saying it could go away.

    Ron

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: 9880-8a?

    I believe I have saved all of it...
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 9880-8a?

    I have made copies of it to store locally when I am not online.


    -chris

  8. #8
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 9880-8a?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    It's a Gauss woofer? Not an Altec? Doesn't make it much of an Altec in my book. Had altec sold out at that point?

    I have a pair of 8184's with real Altec 18's in them and they are wonderful!
    I really don't need these then. but am always a sucker for a good deal.

    He also has a pair of duplexes in cabs, the duplexes with the sort of clover leaf horn in the middle. I think those were 950?

    And he has 2 horns that look like 511 with drivers, but they look bigger, the photo is very fuzzy...another cell phone photo no doubt.

    I have asked the seller to give more details.

    BTW...has anyone captured all this data?

    Altec Lansing Professional Audio - Vintage Speakers

    Awesome source and I think I remember Todd saying it could go away.

    Ron

    Gauss was distributed by Altec Lansing for a short period during the Mark IV Audio era and the 3184 was down on power for the application. The clover leaf Duplex speakers were the 925-8A / 925-8B (12") and the 950-8A / 950-8B (15"). The "8A" models used a shared magnet and the Altec 909 HF driver. The "8B" models were built using all EV parts with the HF screwed on the back (sorta like a 604). Big 511 horns are usually either a 311-60 or 311-90.

    Gary
    Experience is Knowledge

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 9880-8a?

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebroncoii View Post
    Gauss was distributed by Altec Lansing for a short period during the Mark IV Audio era and the 3184 was down on power for the application. The clover leaf Duplex speakers were the 925-8A / 925-8B (12") and the 950-8A / 950-8B (15"). The "8A" models used a shared magnet and the Altec 909 HF driver. The "8B" models were built using all EV parts with the HF screwed on the back (sorta like a 604). Big 511 horns are usually either a 311-60 or 311-90.

    Gary

    Thanks for the info about the 950's.... I saw some on a Craig's add a time ago. Should have posted my question about them then....


    The guy was asking ~$100 a pair for them. They looked (in pics) to be in good condition.....



    -chris

  10. #10
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 9880-8a?

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebroncoii View Post
    ...BTW: Disco only died in the US. It still lives in the rest of the world, even today...
    That explains a lot... now I understand why so many nations are PO'd at the U.S.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.