Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 290e

  1. #1
    Inactive Member atom666's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2010
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    290e

    Hi
    New to the Altec User board.I've mostly been using Planar speakers for years Quad ,Acoustat ,Magnepan etc. I thought i would like to try some horns and the opportunity to buy some 511 and 802 drivers came up so I bought them. Also bought 1 x 902E ,so I am looking for a second unit if anyone knows where one might be available. I may look for multicell horns that I can run down to 300Hz to match with the 290E if I can find a second unit.Meanwhile I will try the 511 as soon as I can come up with some type of mid bass to 500Hz
    Thanks
    Andrew

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 290e

    Hi Andrew and welcome aboard. Keep your eyes on ebay for the extra driver. In the meantime you should have fun with the 802's on the 511's. Big change from planars mind you but perhaps a change is in order?

    Midbasses can be found more readily on ebay than the 290's. You might want to look for the 416, 421, 515 or the 3156.

    There were some 3156's here from gearfreak, maybe they are still available.

    GPA 902's, 3156/8256, AC G1 ribbons, horns... - Hostboard Classifieds & Auctions

    Good luck with the experimenting.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 290e

    Hi Atom! The 290 is a cool driver. The E is the oder Alnico version, IIRC. I have a pair of the newer (and much heavier) 290-8L.

    These were meant mostly for voice on the big horns. The have the very beautiful phenolic diaphragm. This 'fram will handle a lot more power than the metal 'frams, but does not play as high. Altec specs say they play out to 7 or 8KHz. My measurements show about 5.5KHz as the -6dB point.

    Keep an eye on eBay, they turn up there from time to time, along with the multicell horns. If you just need 1, you may find a bargain.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    290e


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Pair 290-8k on CL guy will ship

    A pair of 290-8K reasonable

    ALTEC 290-8K compression drivers
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 290e

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    .
    .
    These were meant mostly for voice on the big horns. The have the very beautiful phenolic diaphragm. This 'fram will handle a lot more power than the metal 'frams, but does not play as high. Altec specs say they play out to 7 or 8KHz. My measurements show about 5.5KHz as the -6dB point.
    .
    .
    BTW: Altec also rates their 808/806 drivers with Symbiotek diaphrams as out to 15KHz, but I think according to my ears, more realistically, it only goes to ~10KHz or so.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member atom666's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2010
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 290e

    Thanks
    I am following this up
    Andrew

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.