Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Castors

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Castors

    I have some 3 inch heavy duty castors. Urethane tyres and nylon wheels with 'zero' play in all bearings.

    Should I direct-mount them to my heavy cabs or use rubber gaskets?

    Cabs will sit on carpet over old floor boards.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Castors

    Any kind of gasket is going to be a good thing, methinks. I've been using those newer slip pads for home furniture, they offer easy mobility and are a bit cosmetically superior to a caster, IMO. They should offer as good a coupling to the floor.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: Castors

    Just MHO but not a big fan of casters.
    I use those square plastic furniture slides with the foam gasket on top for carpet.
    I think they are the same kind that westend9 is talking about...

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    Castors


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Castors

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    Just MHO but not a big fan of casters.
    I use those square plastic furniture slides with the foam gasket on top for carpet.
    I think they are the same kind that westend9 is talking about...
    +1 I use the furniture glides as well,much better than casters IMO, and you would be surprised how much weight you can sling around with them.Casters after awhile will leave ruts in the carpet and will then make them difficult to move.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Castors

    Thanks for your input. I would prefer to use glides but couldn't find suitable ones here.

    Cheers, Marshall.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Castors

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Should I direct-mount them to my heavy cabs or use rubber gaskets?
    Consider that if you make the cabs rigid enough to resonate only above its pass-band as you ideally should, then there's nothing to excite them. I have the cheapest casters that can carry >250 lbs/pair bolted to the bottom back corners of the ~20 ft^3 cabs since I needed to drag them up/down stairs (several times to date with no problems), so normally the wheels are suspended in free space, yet don't vibrate/rattle. They aren't even held on with four bolts, just two since I sawed off one flange to get the wheels just barely off the floor when upright.

    Also, cabs large/heavy enough to require casters are heavy enough to pre-load them, so don't see any point for gaskets unless you're interested in protecting the bottom's finish or even the need for what sounds like fairly pricey casters.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Castors

    i use 4 ft lengths of the furtiture skids to move my subs and 210 cabs around. they have eyelets in the front to attach a strap for pulling. it helps with the stack
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Castors

    GM,

    Thank you for your reply. The castors were a lucky Ebay purchase-not expensive. Your experience indicates that I may be able to sit my cabs on a detachable plinth, without removing the castors, once they are in their final position.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.