Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Proud Altec owner

Hello there , this is my first post here and I would like to thank in advance all who take time to share their thoughts and expierience . I recently brought home two 1270a altecs . I have owned a 9444b aniversary series and just bought a 9444a aniversary upon reading on this site that the A sounds better than the B . I was using the B as a subwoofer amp for my JBL and it sounded much better than the QSC rmx1450 that it replaced . Cleaner and quicker . My question is this . those 9444 amps are big and heavy but the 1270 is bigger and heavier yet . Also the attenuaters on the front feel very precise . Just how does this amp compare to the 9444A and B in terms of design and build quality . I cant find much info on it . Sorry i cant do a listen but I lost a place for my gear when we moved , now its in heated storage . Thanks again .

Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Proud Altec owner

i assume what you're feeling is a stepped attenuater in the 1270.. i have a 9444sa which is a stepped attenuater version of the 9444. i also bought an A version for the same reason you did, adjusted the bias on it, and i agree, very fluid sounding..fast and light. ive never auditioned the 1270 amp before, so no comment there. please explain your speaker situation, as im currently running a 9446 amp for my subs, where the 9444 just wasnt cutting it, in fact i can easily clip the 9446 with the first octave in the 100 db range, tho keeping up with 210's for the mids for the 3rd and 4th octaves is a daunting feat for any amp no matter the effeicientcy of the sub system
    Last edited by valhallax; December 19th, 2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: additional info
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the response vahallax , Youre right the attenuaters are stepped and very solid feeling . As for the sub I bought A large box with four 4in front mounted ports made to spec for A jbl woofer I cant remember the model # of ! Ill have to pull the woofer . It was 8 ohm and I thought that there wasnt much Xmax for a pro sub . It was supposed to go real low in that big enclosure . Its been awhile , sorry . I do know that the 9444b did fine in bridge mode at 600 watts .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

that makes sense, bridge mode.. even tho alot of folks swear bass is mono, i've convinced myself that stereo subs is the way to go
    "those sounds to which no definite pitch can be assigned are usually classified as noise"<br />harvey fletcher-1928

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey there I play IN a band and I can tell you can pick bass sources out of the soundsage very specifically .I agree that stereo subs makes sense , the bass player is not always mixed dead center , his amp is always off to one side with the guitar cabs . anyway I plan to get another jbl and have two Frakensteins monsters . A jbl sub , 3165 woofer , 902 8b + Mantaray ,= a monster ! Now I just need a room so I can build them . I was planning Hafler DH500 for the horns (up to 50 watts class A) , 9444a for the 3156s , and two 1270a in bridge mono 800 watts 8 ohm each fo the subs ? I have evcerything except the extra Jbl . Maybee I should wait untill Halloween to build em ?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

if ya get it done in the next day or so you can call it christmas, and then rock out for new years

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There would be no room for a tree ! This project has been going on for years , part money , part learning , part listening to the system for assesement . I still have lots of questions , for instance the mantarays cross over at 1200HZ and if I understood what I was reading (hopefully) altec designed the woofer to project somewhat within the pattern of the horn at that frequency in the model 14s . I wonder if my 3156s will work in that way . I hope so , I had a local hifi store (portland Or.) to come up with box dimentions based on the published specs on the 3156s . He used the exact same program that Jbl used . It was new then and recently adopted by Jbl then EV shortly after . The program was expensive evan for a buisaness and supposed to be the latest and greatest . So being A novice I am now backwards engineering and hoping the 3156 and mantaray cooperate nicely . This is not rocket science but Im learning as I go unfortunately . I know that a set of superb sounding Altec speakers that I built with the (MUCH APPRECIATED) help of others greatly appeals to me ! Thanks for sharing youre thoughts .