Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: New Heathkit AS101 owner - First post.

HB Super Moderator
    New Heathkit AS101 owner - First post.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Re: New Heathkit AS101 owner - First post.

Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    I still read the 6.8K as 6.8 ohms. and REW is definitely set to start at zero Hz.
    Put a meter on it and see what it actually reads.Try setting REW to 20 Hz.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    You bought new 802's or are you talking about the ones AB offered to loan you?
    New ones. I figured after all this I would end up with them anyway.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

New ones. I figured after all this I would end up with them anyway.
    Congrats on the purchase of 802Gs !

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    Oh crap, it is an 6.8K! It must have been misplaced on the display rack cuz it came right after the 5 ohm and before the 8s. I never looked. I still didn't see after reading both your posts. I still read the 6.8K as 6.8 ohms. Man, I suck. I guess I have a trip back to the electronics store tomorrow! Good catch guys.

Don't beat yourself up on that, afterall, 6.8R (fairly common shorthand ) looks very similar to 6.8K .

Just a note of caution ( since you are playing about with tube amps ), it is worth double/triple checking everything .

The bad news is my new 802-8Gs should be here tomorrow too. Do I install them too while the back is off or exercise patience and wait for the new mic to arrive?

I fail to see the downside ( to that equation ) , I would install them and get on with enjoying them .

I was keen ( somewhat ) to see what the 30923 network could do for your 806s / but that can wait for some other opportunity .

I think I'll take Earls suggestion and rebuild the XOs without the L-pads. After all, what are the chances that I'll need to mitigate the highs?
    As long as you do include some form of midrange reduction ( then running without the existing variable Lpad, is worth trying out ).

- Note, your existing variable Lpad once freed up for other uses ( one side of it > usually the 0-30R portion ) can be wired into the 30923 circuit in place of the 6.5R resistor. Doing this ( along with a small "stop-limit" resistor of say 2-3R ) simulates the same ( variable ) midrange reduction circuit, as found in the N1201-8A .

And FWIW, the Samson Go Mic supposedly goes from 20Hz to 18K and REW is definitely set to start at zero Hz.

Once you have your new test mic ( & load it's EQ correction file into REW ), you'll be able to determine just how linear ( or not ) your Samson mic actually is ( through some direct comparisons of the test subject ) .

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Santa came early...

'cept FedEx brought only one

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

FR with the 806s and 6.8R resistor instead if 6.8K!. I couldn't find 6.5Rs. I'll wait until the second 802 arrives before installing them.

For what it's worth, here's the low end. REW set to start at 10Hz. Mic rated at 20Hz. I still think I should be getting more SPL at the low end. Yes?

Last edited by alancohen; December 10th, 2012 at 09:44 PM.

Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree there's something wrong with that low end graph. Does it seem to have no low end, or is it just the measurement system is unable to hear it? Does the house feel like it's about to collapse? Like a real earthquake is happening right under the foundation? Because if it doesn't something is wrong.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Last night was my son's birthday, so in all the excitement I forgot I had a package on my porch. I saw it this morning and my new mic is here!

I can't find the calibration file, but here's a quick experiment...much better! Sorry for the blurry pic.

And here's the FR:

This is the 806s with HF compensation circuit. L-pads installed and turned all the way up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Last night was my son's birthday, so in all the excitement I forgot I had a package on my porch. I saw it this morning and my new mic is here!

I can't find the calibration file, but here's a quick experiment...much better! Sorry for the blurry pic.

And here's the FR:

This is the 806s with HF compensation circuit. L-pads installed and turned all the way up.
    Nice, much much better !

> I believe you need to download the calibration file from miniDSP's website ( once you match-up the file to your units serial # ) .

> Would be nice to see individual traces of the woofer ( no horn ) & vice-versa .

> As feared, it looks like there is too much midrange attenuation from the 30923 . What does the 806 look like without the 30923 in the circuit ?

PS : You really should get a proper tripod/boom microphone stand ( the box adds it's presence into the data capture ).
    Last edited by Earl K; December 11th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Nice, much much better ! I agree. I feel much better now. I knew they sounded good to me, but since they're my first, who knows?

> I believe you need to download the calibration file from miniDSP's website ( once you match-up the file to your units serial # ) . As soon as I get home tonight.

> Would be nice to see individual traces of the woofer ( no horn ) & vice-versa . I'll try that too..

> As feared, it looks like there is too much midrange attenuation from the 30923 . What does the 806 look like without the 30923 in the circuit ? I'll measure it without tonight as well before I install the 802s. They do sound softer...less in your face. I need to crank the volume more with the circuits installed. Since I only have 15W, it makes a big difference losing 10dB right there in the sweet spot.

PS : You really should get a proper tripod/boom microphone stand ( the box adds it's presence into the data capture ). I have several tripods. One does have a boom that will get the mic low enough.

HB Super Moderator

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Yes all Mics need to be calibrated before use.. Congrats on the new 802G's they do look sweet and I'm sure sound even better !

Looks like your getting some bass response now.