Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: New Heathkit AS101 owner - First post.

Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: New Heathkit AS101 owner - First post.

OT post--true story. Volvo Heretic--I used to date a girl who drove a Volvo and she actually said to me that it was embarrassing to drive a car with a name that sounded like a part of a woman's body.....
    Being of "Sound" Mind

Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL Voice of the Theater! married to her now?

HB Super Moderator
    New Heathkit AS101 owner - First post.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Lets not Hi-Jack Alan's thread guys.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry AB. Anybody have a responce to my previous questions?

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoHeretic View Post
    Build extensions for the back cover to screw to, An inch or maybe a lot- nobody will ever know.

So, after loaded with all of this response information, what are we supposed to do with it? Whip out the trusty 15 band EQ and trial and error the what looks like a 20db discrepancy by adjusting the EQ, doing another sweep, adjusting the EQ...? And then finding out we don't like flat response anyway?

Just curious, I didn't pay much attention to the products used in this exercise. How much would it cost to gather all of this stuff. I will probably just keep tuning by ear since every time I am financially ready to send my 416's to GPA in for a recone, some great deal on a set of speakers comes along and blows my budget out of the water.

Also, base and treble responce seams to be very volume db dependent. I bet the responce is very different @110db.
    I had most everything I needed already: laptop, tripods, cables etc. I needed a good mic which thanks to Earl's recommendation was under $100 shipped. The software was free.

As far as bass and treble being volume dependent, I think that depends on your signal chain. My system includes a signal source (TT, computer CD player and cable box) and a very fast and transparent tube based preamp, phono preamp and 15W OTL amp. The preamp has a 3 input selector and a volume knob. The amp has an on/off switch. That's it. No tone controls, let alone an EQ. What comes from the source is what I get. It's uncanny how volume INdependent the frequency response is. I do not have to turn up the volume to hear excellent bass response. Even at very low volumes, heavy bass passages coming by just fill the room. Of course they don't pound my chest like at louder volumes, but I don't feel like anything is missing at low volume. Sparkling high-hats are right there regardless.

Now, a hole at 500Hz and a spike at 1K is another story. I'm not going to be concerned about it until I get everything bi-amped and see what a pre-amplifier active crossover offers. I'm still pondering Earl's suggestion to rebuild the crossovers and eliminate the L-pads. I think every crossover between the amp output and driver is going to have a signature it leaves on the signal. That's why full-range speakers are getting lots of play.

But like you say, all that matters is what it sounds like. I'm just having a little fun trying to figure out why I like some things and not others. My full-range speakers have a gloriously flat response, but sound restricted compared to these. Frequency response curves are two-dimensional. Music and it's successful reproduction are at least three.

Last edited by alancohen; December 12th, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    So...I'm willing to make a bet that no one has actually installed 802Gs in a Heathkit AS101 cabinet before.
    You would lose if 40-50 yrs ago I'd of ever conceived in my widest dreams that I would ever need a picture of it to post on a world wide 'Telstar' system. Anyway, a capped off, damped cardboard tube deals with the extra depth. Others have used food cans, Tupperware bowls, you name it. This tweak was quite common among the Ga. Tech Fraternity crowd back when these kits were 'way rad'.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Boy, the response of that horn sure changes with different positioning of the mic .
    Yeah, I don't pay much attention to folk's measurements unless all the particulars are listed since they're like statistics, you can prove whatever you want with them. For HIFI/HT apps, what matters is in-room with the mic at the [various] LP[s], then averaged out. For LF outdoor apps, far enough away ground plane for the lowest frequency to unfold and math correct to 1 m /whatever. For the rest, ideally in 4pi space [up a high pole], otherwise however high off the ground the mains are likely to be.

GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

It's uncanny how volume INdependent the frequency response is. I do not have to turn up the volume to hear excellent bass response. Even at very low volumes, heavy bass passages coming by just fill the room.

Now, a hole at 500Hz and a spike at 1K is another story.
    Yeah, with high Vas woofers and compression horns you don't normally need any smiley face 'loudness' control, especially if driven with a high output impedance.

This implies either a poorly done XO or a crapped out one, but my memory says the Heathkits sounded a bit more tonally balanced than the Valencias or maybe we just convinced ourselves they were since we could buy them cheaper due to having a Heathkit store willing to 'deal'.

GM

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Frequency response curves are two-dimensional. Music and it's successful reproduction are at least three.
    Thanks for that.

Senior Hostboard Member

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Yeah, I don't pay much attention to folk's measurements unless all the particulars are listed since they're like statistics, you can prove whatever you want with them. For HIFI/HT apps, what matters is in-room with the mic at the [various] LP[s], then averaged out. For LF outdoor apps, far enough away ground plane for the lowest frequency to unfold and math correct to 1 m /whatever. For the rest, ideally in 4pi space [up a high pole], otherwise however high off the ground the mains are likely to be.

GM
    Thanks for the tip on the back cap mods. I assume some tweaking of the sound could be achieved this way. Of course, only for someone that really enjoys taking the back panel on and off a lot. I am not included in that group.

I'm just starting to learn about the significance of room acoustics. I guess it's nice to know what is coming directly out of the speaker, but unless you listen to music with your head 12" away from the speaker, it really doesn't have much practical value. It matters more how the speakers play the room. If you take the same system and move it from room to room, I'm sure you will get very different frequency curves and a very different sound.

I'm moving very soon and my system will be in an unusually shaped, large open space with a big stone fireplece smack in the middle. I picked up Jim Smith's book and DVDs "Get Better Sound" to begin the learning process of how to set up this room. I'll be moving that mic all over the place and I'm certain there are many diffusion and absorption panels in my near future.