Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New to the Altec bug need help with horn selection

Hello all,
    I am an Audiokama member and was reffered to this site. I bought Speakerlab K's Khorn knockoffs back in 1979. Got back into audio about 4 years ago. The only thing I am still using are the bass bins on the corner horns. I have gone to 511b horns with 807a drivers, upraded EV tweeters. There is a three way active crossover with solid state amplication for the bass and inexpensive single ended pentodes for the mids and highs. Anyway, my buddy sold me the 511's for cheap and and he is running some huge EV CD horns..So my question is, anyone here running Manatarays? Those EV's are impressive, I've got the bug....

Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: New to the Altec bug need help with horn selection

Welcome to the board,
    You betcha people are using mantarays. I am currently using MR994 which is a 500Hz small format Mantaray. It is a great sounding horn, smooth near LF roll-off nice pattern control. More relaxed sounding than the sectoral horns to my ears. Like all CD horns you will need to use EQ.

Junior Hostboard Member yelmite's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Martyh45

I have been reading up on the EQ thing and my basic understanding is I don't understand. What I think it's about is that as pressure builds they lose low freq response so you raise the "volume" on the low freq with an equilizer? I have also read a thread that with Mantarays EQ is not needed, this was debated on said thread with differing opinions. I am looking at some 945A's with 291 drivers. I'm not fond of symbiotic diaphrams in the 291s (because I was told not to be, they are in my cuurent 807 drivers but I have nothing to compare them to) but I think GPA has replacements of the normal type. I know these are gigantic horns but I can "shoehorn" them into a good place as long as I can toe them in to aim at the sweet spot about 20' from the mouth.

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

(because I was told not to be, they are in my cuurent 807 drivers but I have nothing to compare them to)
    Maybe a better thing to tell you would be "Get excited, because in the world of Altec you have nowhere to go but up"

The 807 uses the smaller magnet and is the less sensitive/powerful motor of the small format(1 inch) drivers. An 802/808 motor with a tangential surround all aluminum diaphragm will give a smoother response with much much better HF extension. If you really catch the "Altec bug" you'll eventually set the tweeters aside.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Junior Hostboard Member yelmite's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've never had Mcintosh a Harley, or a Vette... but I'm gunna have some Altec. So my planed path right now would be to pick up these monster horns and see how they work in my system. Then get some Altec bass bins to replace the cornerhorns. My corners are not ideal for cornerhorns anyway. My other thought is to get either 902s or 802s from GPA to play my 511s. It would be cool to eliminate the tweeters and go to a better 2 way active Xover. I listened to my buddies system with the 511s and then he got those big EVs and though i liked the 511s the EVs are in a whole different leauge.

HB Super Moderator
    New to the Altec bug need help with horn selection

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Welcome to the Board !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think if you just change the diaphragm to all aluminum (non-symbiotic), you'll gain more upper treble. It's not as good as just getting 902 or 802 but it will help the high end quite a bit. Then get an active crossover with CD Horn button and you'll be amazed at how good the 807 can sound on it's own with the button engaged (and all aluminum diaphragms). It gives you lots more upper end treble... This is what I did and I'm pretty satisfied. I will eventually go to 802 or 902 when I can afford to. Have fun! The Altec sound is addictive; especially when you start doing little tweaks and they pay off in big ways. Good luck...