Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Rare Bird

Altec 511 Driver Horn | eBay

Very unusual to find factory damped 511's in the small format, i'd wager less common than 511E's.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Rare Bird

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Altec 511 Driver Horn | eBay

Very unusual to find factory damped 511's in the small format, i'd wager less common than 511E's.
    I'd bet it's not factory damped, but rather done my an Altec installer/contractor. Look at the back of the flange. It looks like it was mounted on a baffle, as the egde isn't clean. Also, I think the shipping damage looks like a bad modification. I've never seen corners broken like that before. Usually it's at some diagonal, not a square chunk, like what would be the perfect shape to go around cabinet bracing.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Senior Hostboard Member
    Rare Bird

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

i was looking at that last night. thought about bidding on it. figured if i could get it cheap enough it would be a start on my a7s

Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    I'd bet it's not factory damped, but rather done my an Altec installer/contractor. Look at the back of the flange. It looks like it was mounted on a baffle, as the egde isn't clean. Also, I think the shipping damage looks like a bad modification. I've never seen corners broken like that before. Usually it's at some diagonal, not a square chunk, like what would be the perfect shape to go around cabinet bracing.
    I think you're right. A closer look reveals the damping has been sprayed over with a lighter shade than the horn was originally painted with. Originally, i only looked as far as the screen paint overspray.

FWIW, the broken corner looks like the square chunk the steel/iron "L" mounting brackets usually break off. It may have been fractured when the bracket was in place and shipping finally broke it off. Usually when you see them broken at a 45 thru the screw hole, that's generally a drop or shipping damage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    i was looking at that last night. thought about bidding on it. figured if i could get it cheap enough it would be a start on my a7s
    Look for a fella auctioning off a parted pair of 1234's, he's got the horns and drivers listed as 811's and 807's, they're actually 511's and 808-8B's. They may go pretty reasonably, i'll post a link if i can find it and my ISP is still up. Altec Cast Aluminum Horn Driver Pair 807 8A 802 8g 811B Model 1234 Vinatge Speak | eBay

If worse comes to worse, i'm going to part out my model 15's and offer the 802-8G's as a pair, and i have enough pairs of 511's that i can probably be talked out of a pair.
    Last edited by bowtie427ss; March 4th, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Rare Bird

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

strange i never saw that one. and i'm watching ebay every day. i'll give it a shot. what would be good price to throw in the towel? last week i got stomped on pretty good in a last second sniper bid frenzy, but seeing as how it was the biflexes i was asking about. it worked out for the best.

Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    FWIW, the broken corner looks like the square chunk the steel/iron "L" mounting brackets usually break off. It may have been fractured when the bracket was in place and shipping finally broke it off. Usually when you see them broken at a 45 thru the screw hole, that's generally a drop or shipping damage.
    I guess I've never seen that mounting....... I thought the wood or steel went all the way across? I've seen where the large format horns have small angle brackets, but not small format.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

Senior Hostboard Member
    Rare Bird

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    i'll give it a shot. what would be good price to throw in the towel?
    I wouldn't pay more than 350 tops and less if possible...bear in mind they likely have the Symbiotik fram, or worse, aftermarket Chinese. So a couple hundred for frams, minus what you can off the Symbiotiks for.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

Senior Hostboard Member
    Rare Bird

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

im about to give up on ebay. they went for 357. and i was late logging back on. missed them them by 10 mins.