Indeed, though I assume these have 416Z woofers and no 075 tweeter.
GM

Altec Magnificent 16
You gotta love the first pic, shot from floor level and DB in the background.
Indeed, though I assume these have 416Z woofers and no 075 tweeter.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

I'm sure there's no D130 either. I think he's a little mixed up.
Yes, I agree. In fact, under his "specification" heading, he lists all the correct Altec drivers/crossover/horn...... These look to be a really nice pair of Magnificents. From the date codes that he provides (he calls them serial numbers), each component look to be very well matched/manufactured at pretty much the same time frame as it's "mate". The crossovers appear to be from the same year as each other, but five years different from the woofers...... From his video, you can tell each driver is producing sound by the way he holds his camera right up to each driver, and when he pulls back so you can hear both speakers at once those things just happen to sound a lot like my small computer speaker/sub woofer system!![]()
Being of "Sound" Mind
They have some contradictions. The badges are not correct, they should be script and are from close to a decade later than the drivers date. The date codes imply 1962 and 1967 assuming they're correct "green" drivers. Those drivers should be in the early style Magnificent cabinet.
Without some factual disclosure, i'd be lowballing.
You would think a motivated and experienced seller would have taken some pics when he was identifying the drivers.
Last edited by bowtie427ss; August 1st, 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Not all vegetables make good leaders.
FWIW, it's my understanding that the majority had the 416Z same as was in the pair I got a 'look-see' at due to cheapening them up to competitively price them with the large JBLs, though AFAIK earlier units did come with the 803A & B and the latter's re-badged 416A.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
IMO, Magnificents with that driver load bearing those date codes should look like this:
MAGNIFICENT(A7-500W) ALTEC HiFi-Do McIntosh/JBL/audio-technica/Jeff Rowland/Accuphase
Further, the badges on the ebay cabinets should look like this:
mcUT603jJIO7C7YKTkC1fyw.jpg
Not all vegetables make good leaders.

I'm wondering. Could it be 67 and 69 drivers assembled in 72 with the crossovers? That was when Long Altec came apart, things were very disorganized.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
Yeah, this is where I was at when I figured it has the 416Z due to the series II grill plus we've found that by then, Altec wasn't so much following a parts list for a model, but using whatever parts were available to get an order shipped. Also, by the early '70s, Heathkit had a speaker fire sale that the local Fraternities jumped on, but I have to wonder how many parts they wound up shipping back to Altec, which would explain them still having any green horn assemblies at a time when 'black was where it was at'.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Bookmarks