Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: 802-8G

  1. #1
    Inactive Member BRAD OURSO's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2003
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I own a pair of model 19's. I know that they came with 802's and later with 902's. Mine have the 802's. However what i am not sure of is if they are the 802-8g's......i am assuming that they are from an earlier post.
    Well if they are, I had to put a replacement diaphragm in each one. Bill at GPA put them in for me. Now, what i am scared of is that the replacements weren't as thin as the originals and have a lack of HF response.


    "The 802-8G used a completely redesigned diaphragm that this person stated was a back to basics concept. In other words, it was similar to that used in the very first 802. It used a very thin and light diaphragm that had the minimal clearance necessary to safely function in a home speaker. He said that the same extension could be achieved with this new diaphragm using the older circumferential phase plug. Testing revealed no significant differences in response."

    Many years ago Jim Dickinson told me that the diaphragm in the 802-8G was special, lightweight and no longer available. So "don't blow them up" he said. I still have that letter......
    Your note here is the first time I have heard this confirmed. Glad I still have those drivers.

    However, this doesn't make the owners of these drivers feel too awful good about repalcing the diaphragm if needed huh? GPA pretty much make a "fits all" diaphragm...right?"


    Can anyone say if the replacements I got from GPA are the same as the original 802-8g's? The reason i ask is because my dad owns a set with all original parts and his seem to have a better high end response than mine....any help greatly appreicated.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Brad,

    Do you have the part number of the new diaphragm? It's probably stamped on the frame of the diaphragm but you would need to remove it to see it. Depending on your comfort level you may or may not want to do that. Did Bill list the part number on an invoice perhaps??? We would need that information to start with.

    Later . . .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.