-
December 10th, 2002, 10:26 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Went looking to buy some 3/16" felt to put inside the driver covers of some 902's from which I want to eliminate the loading caps. I figured this would be an easy quest, but after striking out at three different places, thought I would take a chance that someone on this board would know a good place to go.
-
December 11th, 2002, 12:07 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Well, if all else fails this is probably a last ditch suggestion. Go to a store that sells those Canadian style boots with the heavy felt liners. You can buy replacement liners separately. Buy a pair and cut the felt to the size and shape you need and there you have it. And just for the fun of it, you can make slippers out of what you have left over.
Happy Holidays !
-
December 11th, 2002, 12:16 AM
#3
Inactive Member
-
December 11th, 2002, 11:15 AM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
I found the felt you're looking for at a local foam rubber/upholstery supply. You might also try your local home center. Look for stick-on pads for furniture feet.
-
December 11th, 2002, 12:39 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I saw them but didn't know if they would work as well. Meanwhile, I have located an A.C. Moore crafts supply house locally and will call them when they open; and lastly, am considering buying
a sheet of the acoustic damping material used in auto speaker applications. I imagine this would be ok, too.
-
December 11th, 2002, 10:14 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Found what I needed at A.C. Moore, a chain of retail craft supply houses. Had to triple up what they had, but it was the right stuff otherwise. Thanks to all for their help.
-
December 11th, 2002, 11:35 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
Great Plains Audio has them cut to fit and they are only a couple of bucks!
Ron
-
December 12th, 2002, 02:10 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Could somebody explain to me what you are talking about doing here? What does this mod achieve? how's it done? is it applicable to 604-8Gs?
Thanks, Billf
-
December 13th, 2002, 04:11 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Loading caps are the black plastic diaphragm caps sometimes found in Altec compression drivers. I imagine their purpose is to prevent over extension of the diaphragm under high power applcations and at lower crossover frequencies. It is thought they may have a slight adverse effect on transient response. Under most applications they can safely be removed, but in which case you need to add a 3/16" thick piece of felt to the inside of the driver cover to dampen the rear wave. My 604b's had them and are now quite happy without them.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks