-
December 2nd, 2003, 03:54 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hello everyone!
My first time here but I'll go ahead and dig right in with a HUUUGE question!
Are the T/S parameters of a 416-8Z good enough to work in this http://www.decware.com/imperial.htm Imperial rear loaded horn? I read one thread here on the Altec boards addressing the 416-8Z T/S params but it left some things unclear for me. If you check out the Decware link above you'll see that many oddball woofers worked well in these "re-engineerd" horns. The finished cabinets pictured minus the horn on top are 62"H x 37"W x 25"D. I'm thinking of doing a 1/2 width version of this horn with a 416 woofer for a stereo pair. I'll add a HF horn later. I have asked about cutting the width in half and the consensus is that LF extention should be OK since the horn's expansion rate or "fold" dimensions remain the same. My concern is that the 416 woofer will not react well to horn loading but this particular horn is pretty "HUGE" and I know with other similar 15 inchers they extend below 18hz. I've met these exact speaker in person as subs (picture at Decware) and they are the deepest tightest "mothers" I've ever heard, and with high power they will knock a building down!!!!! I however plan on using them with a flea powered SET of 2.5-4 WPC. I have aquired a set of 808-8A HF drivers and I plan to craft a wooden horn similar to the one you see pictured at the link. Anyway I think from what I'm hearing already from the 808's with only 1 watt I'm going to love a purpose built set of speakers based around the Altec HF horns. The thread at Decware on these Imperial bass horns "gushes" with enthusiasm about the sound.
-
December 2nd, 2003, 09:33 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Hi,
I think you will find that you can not make half a cabinet. The expansion rate is not the only factor to consider, you have to take into account the area of the final opening. You can not reduce that without losing some of the bottom end.
As far as the choice of woofer goes, I think the 416 is a wonderful speaker and would work well in this configuration. Horns like this tend to bring out the best in almost any speaker as the DECWARE people describe in their website.
With a watt or two these are likely to be very pleasant to listen to.
My thoughts,
-
December 2nd, 2003, 01:27 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Thanks Dave!
Yes the 1/2 size would reduce the mouth by...well 1/2. Steve Deckert at Decware had been asked several times by me and others about a 1/2 or even 1/4 width of this horn and his theory was that since the flare rate is the same and harmonically the frequency/mouth ratio would be and even multiple that response might be maintained. Also I've seen so many much smaller rear loaded front outlet bass horns for Lowther and Fostex drivers that sound and measure into the 40s that this large horn might work! I think I will crudly screw together a "test mule" (old aviation term?) and check it out before I commit to a finely finished example!
But to recap; you feel the 416 driver will like this "LARGE" folded horn enclosure?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks