Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Hey folks,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this topic. I focus on drag racing, golf, and work in the summers, and I've just been busy.

I started a new topic because the previous one dropped off the first 2 pages.

I dug out the N1201-8A, the model 19, and the N1209-8A crossovers that I have.

The N1201 and the Model 19 are indeed identical. Same caps, same inductors (by part number) and the same resistors. Same wiring as well.. I traced both out.

The N1209 is quite different, I don't even know if it is the same frequency.

So I apologize for stating that the Model 19 and the N1201 were different. I was wrong.

The N1201 does have different connections....they are spade lugson the back, they also have a metal case. The model 19 seems to have cheaped out with wires soldered directly to the circuitry going to the speakers, and no metal case. Electrically identical.

BTW....if anyone has a spare L-pad for these, let me know. One of mine is toast...as was the rest of the x-over...and I'd like to rebuild it to stock.

One more BTW.....I tried boutique caps in my duplex 904-8A crossovers....same as the later 604-8K duplexes, and it killed the sound. Went bact to stock, and the orig sound came right back. Don't discount the stock stuff, until you have found better. And my suspicion is, it will take a lot of tries to improve on.

Ron

PS....hello Mike Gibson!
    <u>identical</u>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Excellent info and thanks for getting back to this Ron.
    Send me a PM with your email regarding the L pads. I have a number of them as well as a good supply of original NOS Altec knobs for this style of XOs. The knobs are the same on the 14,15,17,18,19,1201,1209,604-8K, N 8500 and Santana.

Gary

Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Ron, how did you do at the track? How about giving me a call one of these evenings? I have some items I could use your input on. Better yet cruise up here some weekend and look it over. forums

I have a Rane electronic x-over hooked up to my Valencias and really like it. I could use some expert advice for sure forums

Mike

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ross, would you be interested in relieving yourself of one pair of your 1201a or mod 19 XO's? I want to build a 19 clone but am really leary of building a 1201a from scratch. I'm afraid using different manufacturer inductors and different caps will result in a different sound. I really want an original sounding Model 19.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I mean Ron, not Ross. Sorry Ron. I have fat fingers.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know what the original 19's sounded like but I recapped mine when I got them, those caps go bad after a while, I used auricap for identical values and replaced the resistors also. they sound Magnificent!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Gary,
    Thanks.
    PM on the way.
    Ron

Mike,

The car is now running in the high nines. So I have had to get a competition license. I just finished that up, in time for the end of the season.
    Send me your phone number, and I'll give you a call. Maybe Sunday eve.

Ron

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What about the coils? That's the part that concerns me. Has anyone taken DCR measurments of the original coils (iron core?) so a resonably close replacement could be found? In my mind, using some air core, ribbon wound, high end inductors might alter the sound due to the different risistance.
    -Mark

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Mark,

I have a perfect pair of model 19 crossovers that I have plans for.
    One of my N1201's is completely apart, right down to the frame. It suffered a cap explosion....
    So I really only have the one pair.
    Sorry.

DCR on the stock coils is very low. <.2 ohms for the two with the larger wire and .6 for the one with the smallest wire.

I just happened to have a set here at work.....

Ron

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Would you be interested in selling the iron from the 1201's? I think I could use new caps and resistors and if the iron was the same I might have a shot at getting the same sound.
    Thanks Ron for taking the DCR measurements - invaluable!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast