Thread: Several 604 varieties currently offered - opinion?

Senior Hostboard Member Charles Chance's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If my cut/paste works, here is a lengthy commentary that occured on this board about a year and a half ago. I copied it for future reference. I hope Todd, AL, JimD don't mind me reposting it.

Posted by AL on September 1, 2002, 2:21 pm , in reply to "604 series speakers"
    Steve is right about "Can of Worms".
    I will give you my opinion, some may not agree.

I will start with the early 50's Altec 604B. It had a 40X90 HF horn coaxially mounted crossed at 1000 hz, rated 30 watts, 16 ohms,40 lbs.Alnico magnets. Freq response:30-16khz, Wrinkled brown paint. All paper cone. In my opinion these are too old a style for me, but many persons who still have these models like to listen to them , and they do still sound great if in good shape. But by now, many have been refurbished with updated cones/networks to make them sound more up to date. I know that Paramount Studios, Hollywood Calif. was sending some of these OLD ones into Altec in OKC just before the factory closed up. Some studios were refurbishing their old Altec stuff for the sake of originality, and sound properties.(Enough on that).
    Now the VERY popular Altec 604C (which superceded the 604B), was circa: mid fifties to 1960 or so. It was green hammertone, 16 ohms, 40X90 HF horn in middle, 35 watts, 50 peak, crossed at 1600 hz, freq response 30-22khz,all paper cone. Alnico magnets. 40 lbs. This 604C model was a VERY good sounding and very close sounding to the newer models I am going to mention next. The 604C was also many times updated by the Altec factory to make it into a more updated model by persons who wanted this done. The 604C was able to handle more power than the earlier 604's. In my opinion, this model 604C is as great a model, if in good shape as any of todays speakers, (if not better).(Next: they only get BETTER):
    The Altec green hammertone 604D looked JUST LIKE the 604C. It was out circa: early to mid 60's. I really do not know what the difference in the 604C, an 604D is? They both sound very alike to me! All paper cones in both. Possibly a network change to make it smoother at cross-over??
    The Altec 604E Super Duplex model circa: 1964-65/late 60's, was light grey paint, 20-22khz, 40X90 HF horn in middle, 35 watts, 50 peak, "8 to 16 ohms" Imp, crossed at 1500 hz with newer smoother cross-over network. Alnico V magnets. 34 lbs. It had a paper cone, but now with an "accordian edge" cloth surround which by the way, lowered the resonant frequency of the bass cone some over the previous "all paper" cones. Bass cone free air resonance was 25 hz.
    The next 604 in the series was the 604-8G circa early to late 70's. It was dark grey/black in color, had 40X90 HF horn in middle, 8 ohms, 65 watts, 20-20khz, Alnico V magnets, crossed with newer designed network at 1500 hz. 25 hz free air bass cone resonance. Sensitivity was improved over prior 604's :100 db SPL, 4 ft. on-axis 1 watt input (pink noise band limited from 500-3000khz) The 604-8G basket was changed from previous 604 designs to be able to rear-mount it if needed, or front-mount could be done. This model 604-8G was offered in a nice system called the model "Seventeen" A vented 9 cubic foot nicely finished beautiful cabinet.
    Of these Altec Alnico magnet models of 604's, I like the 604E which I feel was really nominally 16 ohms, and was the model the 604B,C,D was usually updated to. The 604-8G is really most likly THE BEST. If you can find a "pristine" pair of the "8G's, they would be like "Gold".
    The next 604's were the 604-8H, and 604-8K. Circa 80's/90's. These were the latest design ceramic magnet Duplex models,and had radial phase plugs in the HF drivers, and had more sensitive "SPL" ratings than previous model 604's. These had smoother HF dispersion , due to the CD "Mantaray" horn in the middle of the woofer, improved cross-over networks ect. I believe the woofer frames were larger 16 inch ones on these too.
    The Altec 604C,D,E,8G models were, in my opinion "machined" better than the latest, late 90's ceramic magnet 604's, but this does not mean I don't think the latest 604's were not "The "Kings" of speakers, which IS what I think!
    I once about 10 years ago compared the sound of one Altec M-600 (604-8K),8 ohm circa late 90's,.... to one early 60's Altec green hammertone 604-D, 16 ohm in an Altec 612A bass-reflex utility enclosure. Power was a good 200 watt RMS solid-state amp/pre-amp Dynaco system. Source was Technics CD deck. The CD is Linda Ronstadt "Mas Canciones". This is Mexican music complete with all the brass and strings, and her beautiful powerfull voice singing in Mexican. The speakers were at ear level on-axis. WOW !! the 604-8K with the Mantaray HF horn was SUPER CLEAR,DETAILED like no other speaker I've heard! The voice, and instruments were SUPER CLEAR! I stood within four to 20 feet away in my shop. Sound pressure levels were adjusted to the threshold of me almost having temporary hearing loss if I kept this up!. (I of course toned it down after a bit) There's nothing more exciting to me than to just stand back for a bit, and HEAR what an Altec can do!
    Then I replaced the 604-8K with the good old green hammertone 16 ohm 604D, same set-up,......WOW!!!, the 604D at the same levels did a pretty darn good job of almost sounding as clear, and loud as the 604-8K!!
    (I did NOT run them SO loud to get any distorted sound)
    This is where the EFFICIENCY FACTOR comes in ! Only Altecs can be this uniform as to being very GREAT high-efficiency DESIGNED loudspeakers, even older models from 30 to 40 years back! This is why I feel Altec's are as good, and STILL better than today's speakers!
    AL

Posted by JImD on September 3, 2002, 8:40 pm , in reply to "RE: 604 Series/ AND MORE......."
    Your 604 cronology is very good and almost completely accurate. I hope you do not mind if i correct you on a few points. The 604D was never an official model, they were not sold as a catalog item. The 604 had been replaced by the 605 at that time. The 604Ds were built one-off by the plant for special customers such as recording studios. The only one I have ever seen looks just like a 604C, however, I think the crossover is the same one used on the 605A, it says N1600B. I have also heard that some 604Ds had a accordian edge cone, also built custom for customers, and were predecessors to the E model. The 604H, is the last of the alnico magnet models and has a Tangerine phase plug in the H.F. and the newer Mantaray horn. Basically it is a cross between the Alnico G model and later Ferrite K model. The M-600 uses the 604-8L. It is a K with a higher LF power voice coil and uses the Pascolite Alluminum H.F. Diaphragm. That ought to be confusing enough fo now, Jim.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi all,

Once again I am asking help in my looking for a pair of 604 drivers. While I am waiting from Mr. White, I have searched eBay and the likes. I would ask the evaluation / advise.
    Specifically, is it worthwhile to salvage beat-up B for its supposedly better horns rather than to buy clean 8H? Is 605B a lot inferior than 604E? I prefer 604 models because the application is nearfield monitoring, but considering the crazy prices wouldn't it be better to clone a Model 19?

-----------------------------

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=50597
    One clean pair of -8G. Would likely be well over $1300;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3284
    A pair of B's, may be upto $700-800 but complete checkup/overhaul would be needed;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=47093
    E's, in questionable condition, yet still boasting $1100;

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ull&1084843765
    several(!) pairs of 605B's, condition uncertain but at less than $800

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14993
    And finally, a set of 8H's, local pickup only so likely to be had at $800 including XO's and 620 enclosures. Condition claimed to be good, one owner, 20 plus years home usage.

-------------------------

How do you think? Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

I beg to differ with JimD. The 604D was in the 1957 catalog (which I have)and as far as I know was not superceded by the 605 until 1959.

Best,

Kev