Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have recently disconnected the load side of a Hydro Meter (single phase 120/240 vac service) and the meter kept running, it slowed down considerably but it did not stop running. Is this normal? If so, how is it wired? Thanks DL2000.

p.s. there were three other meters being
    fed from the same supply splitter,
    however they wern't disconnected.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This does seem a little weird. So there is nothing connected to the load side lugs in the meter base?
    If this were the case my only thought would be that one or both of the load side lugs is partially grounded. Maybe there is moisture/carbon or dirt causing one or both of the load side lugs to "track" to ground.
    Is this a typical meter like the kind found on most homes? Or does it have a connection to neutral or ground?
    I don't know much about "meters" but now I am wondering if there is a small current flow from L1 to L2 thru the meter,bad meter maybe?

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 07, 2005 05:10 PM: Message edited by: bigrockk ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for responding Bigrockk. These 4 meters are in the basement of a strip-mall store. L1, L2 and a neutral comes in from Hydro into a splitter box, from this splitter box L1 and L2 is connected to the line side of each meter.

The only difference in appearance with these meters and those commonly found on houses, are that the meter bases have 4 terminal screws each, 2 are labeled line and 2 are labeled load. There are no neutral or grounding going to the meter bases.

I disconnected the load side of one of these meters and I experienced what I mentioned above.
    I don't know if these are older style meters.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im my experience, this is normal. The line side of the meter connects to the magnetic circuit which drives the alumininum disk for metering. You had stated that it was turning considerably slower, and i assume that you meant that it is still moving very very slightly.

There is always a little draw from the meter itself, and I am sure thats the reason hydro is changing over to the digital meters.