Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

A #14 would be indicated by rule 4-002. Although 14-100 may indicate a larger size.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was asked by another J-man what the minimum size of tap conductor was allowed in a splitter box. I thought it was #14. I have looked through the CEC and really found nothing conclusive. I could use some help answering this Q (complete with code rule).
    Thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks ccrash for your input . I found the same info and that has left me with more Q's. I even had someone say it was #10 as the minimum size of tap conductor in a splitter. I looked into the "Electrical Code Simplified" commercial & industrial edition and did not find a definite answer. Anyone have anything to add please do post it in this web-site discussion board. Thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If there were a minimum wire size required in splitters, it would be found in Section 12, Rules 12-2000 to 12-2020.

As ccrash stated, the minimum size for each feeder will be determined by the tap rules 14-100 (a to g). Paragraph b and c cover most installations.

Ed

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 23, 2003 08:37 AM: Message edited by: electric-ed ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Thanks Electic-Ed.
    T-Tiger: I belive the #10 conductor size may come from a missunderstanding of 14-100(b)(i)"not less than the rating of the switchboard, panelboard, or control device".
    If the splitter was supplying "fused disconnects"(15A fuse/ 30A dissconnect) then the correct apllication of this rule would not allow smaller than a #10. However if the splitter was to supply "circiut breaker disconnects"(15A CB/ 15A dissconnect) then you could end up with a #14.
    14-100 is a very complicated rule and it is easy to missunderstand

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the added info,moderator. I had looked into section 12 and found nothing about minimum tap conductor size. About 14-100 "code legal-eaze" has not been one of my strong points. Thanks for the extra info, ccrash.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 23, 2003 11:43 PM: Message edited by: t-tiger ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the added info,electric-ed. I had looked into section 12 and found nothing about minimum tap conductor size. About 14-100 "code legal-eaze" has not been one of my strong points.Thanks for the extra info, ccrash.