Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: AFCI

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Powerplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2003
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    I was wondering how an AFCI device works, and if putting any particular lighting devices on it's circuit may trip the breaker... I do realize people plug in flourescent lights into their bedside stand. I would also like to put a few extra plugs outside the bedroom on the circuit, which I assume is not a problem, although I've been told to keep the bedroom dedicated, or is the AFCI not able to support a regular 12A load?

    Thanks, Roy

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bigrockk's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 29th, 2002
    Posts
    146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Roy,
    As far as how the AFCI works, check out these links,

    http://www.loebelectric.com/cws/pagedirfull.cfm?tmp=chArcFault&title=This%20Month' s%20Feature

    http://www.ci.concord.ca.us/business/arcfaultgfci.htm

    http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/afcifac8.PDF

    Personally I have not had any trouble with nuisance tripping but I have heard of trouble with ceiling fans causing nuisance tripping. I think the only reason to keep the AFCI circuit dedicated to the bedroom is again, to limit nuisance tripping.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member t-tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2003
    Posts
    19
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    With AFCI's the only thing to worry about is any device with a high inrush current such as, ceiling fans. Lights are considered resistive devices and although they do have a very,very brief current surge due to the fact that the filament is at it's cold resistance, but once current flows the filament heats up to it's hot resitance which then limits the current and stays steady. CEC 26-722(f)(g) requires AFCI's for bedroom plugs in 'dwelling units' (residential housing, apartments,& hotels/motels with kitchenettes). By adding lights to the AFCI cct you would be increasing or improving on the minimum requirement.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Powerplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2003
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Thanks for the input...Roy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •