Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, this week has went horrible. I have been sort of sick for about 2 months now. Doctor said the stress of the divorce, huge weight loss and a new job has caused my immune system to pretty much shut down(not that I had much of one to begin with) but I ended up with mono and now whooping cough! I'm one of the lucky few that the vaccine i had as a child wore off leaving me susceptible to the cough thing. As of now im on 4 meds and cant talk without coughing until I throw up. Im out of work for a few days and on bed rest as well.

Im not gonna die but it damn sure feels like it! I cant do anything but sleep..I hate that!

Anyhow I cant call anyone cause I cant talk so thought I'd put an update here so ya'll know whats going on with me. Im not supposed to be on here but hell..i live alone who will stop me hehe!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am glad to see you here Chele. Now you need to get better. Only 18 days left until spring is here.

pete

[img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

Inactive Member EvolutionHasBegun's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

*pulls her power plug outta the wall* [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well sorry to hear ....
    I hope you get better sooner then expected...
    sickness always sucks ass...but coughin i think is the worst

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

glad youre feeling better then !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone..no im not feeling better though..i wish I were. I cant hardly move my whole midsection is bruised from the coughing. No sleep in 4 days now..nothing to eat in 2..im drinking though so thats better than nothing. I read up on this and here is what I found..

WHAT IS PERTUSSIS?
    Pertussis, or "whooping cough," is a highly contagious disease involving the respiratory tract. It is caused by a bacterium, Bordetella pertussis, which is found in the mouth, nose and throat of an infected person.

WHO GETS PERTUSSIS?
    Pertussis can occur at any age. Severe illness is more common in young children that have not been immunized. Adults with pertussis have milder symptoms. A diagnosis of pertussis should be considered for adults with persistent cough, to ensure they do not pass on the infection.

Currently the main reason for susceptibility to pertussis in adolescents and adults is that immunity has waned since the last pertussis immunization was given before kindergarten. Current immunization recommendations are for children and adults age 11-64 to receive a booster injection against pertussis infections.

HOW IS PERTUSSIS SPREAD?
    Pertussis is spread when the infected person coughs or sneezes. The Bordetella pertussis bacterium is spread in droplets.

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF PERTUSSIS?
    Pertussis starts as a mild, upper respiratory infection (a cold) - including sneezing, runny nose, fever and occasional cough. Within 10-14 days, the cough becomes more severe. Thick, sputum may be present. These symptoms may persist for one to two months, occurring frequently at night. Coughs often come in uncontrollable clusters and may cause vomiting. Adults rarely have the characteristic ?whoop? with coughing.

If you have not been immunized, the symptoms are more severe. Check with your provider if you have had a cough that lasts more than two weeks without improvement.

HOW SOON AFTER THE INFECTION DO SYMPTOMS APPEAR?
    The incubation period is 7-14 days, but may be as long as three weeks.

WHEN AND FOR HOW LONG IS A PERSON ABLE TO SPREAD PERTUSSIS?
    A person can transmit pertussis from seven days following exposure to an infected person, to three weeks after the onset of coughing episodes. Pertussis is only contagious for 5-7 days if antibiotic therapy is begun.

DOES PAST INFECTION WITH PERTUSSIS MAKE A PERSON IMMUNE?
    One attack usually provides immunity for many years, but immunity wanes with time. In the case of prior immunization greater than twelve years, occurrence rates over 50% have been reported.

WHAT ARE THE COMPLICATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH PERTUSSIS?
    Complications of pertussis may include pneumonia, reactive airway disease, back strain and rib fractures, middle ear infections and dehydration. In infants, seizures, brain damage, and death can occur. Serious complications are rare in adolescents and adults.

TREATMENT:
    Antibiotic therapy is the treatment option recommended to decrease the spread of the infection. This will however, not affect the course of the disease. Other supportive options are available. Adequate hydration is important

Who knew??? Im just a mess..somebody shoot me and out me outta my misery please!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[img]frown.gif[/img] i hope they have you on some good cough meds at least... hell, i didn't even know you COULD get it still... welcome to working with the public! lol. You come into contact with a LOT more stuff when you work in either the school system, or the healthcare profession... sucks, but there it is... kids and the elderly are notorious for hacking and sneezing all over the place and never covering their mouth or nose.... they laugh at me at work cuz i spray the place with disinfectant as soon as i get there.... well! patients have been sleeping in those rooms all night... techs have been taking care of those patients and more likely than not, displaying poor if not absent handwashing.... then touching MY keyboard and everything else in the room where i work.... now i will go back and tell them HA!!!! see, we may have all had fkn whooping couch if it wasn't for my germophobia!!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

seriously though... i hope you get better soon... [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img] just do what they tell ya, and probably drinking lots of water wouldn't hurt!! [img]wink.gif[/img] heh, i was gonna say drink lots of fluids... then i remembered where i was.... *chuckles*... [img]confused.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ty Ra! your right kids are little germ factories. They called me in some really strong cough stuff yesterday and I have been able to sleep for about 12 hours now..with very little coughing! Im on the mend I think!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aww poor Chele! Dealing with chronic bronchitis
    myself, I know a little of what you are going
    through!

Gets lots of rest and definitely lots of "water"
    *L* @ RA!

Inactive Member EvolutionHasBegun's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

as long as shes been absent i think shes been exposed to plenty of "fluids" as it is...its about time water was one of them anyway... [img]wink.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast