Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a little multi-cultural food for thought...

Ramadan, the Ninth Month of the Islamic calendar, is a time of worship and contemplation, and strengthening family and community ties. One way Muslims show their devotion to God is by fasting during the day for the month of Ramadan. They believe that this way food does not get in the way of their thinking about God. Following the Fast of Ramadan is one of the Five Pillars or Laws of Islam. It is a kind of spiritual tune-up and a way to get closer to God and family and friends. During the month, Muslims try to read as much of the Qur'an as they can. Many Muslims spend part of each day during Ramadan listening to the recitation of the Qur'an in a mosque. Some spend the last ten days of Ramadan in a mosque devoting the whole ten days, during the day, for worshipping God.

Since Ramadan is a special time, Muslims in many parts of the world prepare favorite foods during the month. Ramadan emphasizes the community of friends and family and since everyone eats at the same time during this month, Muslims often invite one another to share in the Ramadan evening meal.

Another lesson learned during Ramadan is that fasting is a way of experiencing hunger and developing sympathy for the less fortunate, and learning to be thankful and appreciate all of God's blessings. They give contributions to those less fortunate, called the Zakat (One of the Five Pillars of Faith).

Children do not fast during Ramadan until they become a certain age. Presents are given to the children in the family on the last night of Ramadan during the Special Celebration Dinner. Muslims use many phrases in various languages to congratulate one another for fasting successfully: "Kullu am wa antum bi-khair" (May you be well throughout the year) - Arabic "Ramadan mubarak (A Blessed Ramadan)" - universal

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Minnow..Thanks for sharing!..i love to hear about different religions..and their customs..*VBS*...As a child we didnt really attend church so i listend to my friends and learned from them..When i got older i made the decision to go on my own..so i really had no idea of what i believed or wanted to believe..Living in the south..most people are Baptists..I wasnt comfortable with the Baptist way..so i shopped if you will..*S..I ended up at St.Andrews Episcopal Church..It was one of those life altering changes..*L..Speaking of holidays..my favorite service is Midnite Mass at Christmas...it is so beautiful and such a touching tribute to our savior..*VBS*
    OK...nuff said..Thanks Minnow!!

------------------
    "This above all; to thine own self be true."
    -William Shakespeare

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

Yep!
    thanks Minn, an i'm gonna try to be happier this year...
    even tho i never say Merry Christmas...
    i always say Happy Holidays....s*

*is always, almost the only person online Christmas morning.....s*