Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a couple of good sources for news about current international events...for anyone who is interested in staying on top that sort of thing....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ http://www.un.org/News/

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

there's alot to read at the UN news 1.....
    to me, reading all that stuff, gets overwhelming, and makes me feel helpless, then depressed.....
    there's too much shit!! that aint good in this world...
    and it seems theres not a damn thing we can do about it...
    so why read it??

and i'am bein serious.....why read it???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well I can't speak for anyone else but it doesn't make me feel overwhelmed...it makes me feel empowered. I read the actual UN resolution that was unanimously adopted on the 28th of September and it made me feel good to know exactly what nations all over the world are agreeing to do now about combatting terrorism in addition to setting a time frame for these nations to report back as to the measures they have taken.

Real information as opposed to disinformation (and there is plenty of that going around for sure) does not make me feel depressed either. It makes me feel....informed.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I guess one other point about that I'd like to make...not knowing doesn't make it go away...the only way people can ever do something about any of the shit that happens in this world is to know. Awareness is very important, in my opinion. One thing in reading Mayor Guiliani's address to the UN that really struck me was that he pointed out that in order to truly and effectively deal with terrorism and oppressive regimes throughout the world is not to sit back and just protect our own interests...the way to deal with it is to spread the concepts of a free society to places and people who have never been exposed to such ideas. You know...there are millions of Afghanis who don't even KNOW what happened here on September 11th. You're not allowed to own tv's *L*...and the Internet is banned...because that's how extremist regimes control their "constituents" *L* They control what they get to know and usually what they get to know are nothing but propoganda and lies.

I heard someone on another thread complaining about American propoganda...how we all think we live in the most free nation in the world blah blah blah...but at least here we can research and challenge what is put out there. Here we can put in print that we think our government leaders are a bunch of sheep fucking half wits who don't bathe if we want to and never...ever...do we have to fear being executed in a stadium full of onlookers for saying it.

I will keep reading...and thinking...and speaking up and challenging authority...because I can...because it's my right and after all of this...and learning much more about how things are elsewhere I no longer take those rights for granted.

------------------