Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What happens right before a c-section?

First, your practitioner will explain why she believes a c-section is necessary, and you'll be asked to sign a consent form. If your prenatal practitioner is a midwife, you'll be assigned an obstetrician for the surgery who will make the final decision and get your consent.

Typically, your husband or partner can be with you during most of the preparation and for the birth. In the rare instance that a c-section is such an emergency that there's no time for your partner to change clothes — or you need general anesthesia, which would knock you out completely — your partner might not be allowed to stay in the operating room with you.

An anesthesiologist will then come by to review various pain-management options. It's rare these days to be given general anesthesia, except in the most extreme emergency situations or if you can't have regional pain relief for some reason.

More likely, you'll be given an epidural or spinal block, which will numb the lower half of your body but leave you awake and alert for the birth of your baby.

If you've already had an epidural for pain relief during labor, it'll be used for your c-section as well. Before the surgery, you'll get extra medication to ensure that you're completely numb. (You may still feel some pressure or a tugging sensation at some point during the surgery.)

A catheter is then inserted into your urethra to drain urine during the procedure, and an IV is started if you don't have one already. The top section of your pubic hair is shaved, and you're moved into an operating room.

Anesthesia will be administered, and a screen will be raised above your waist so you won't have to see the incision being made. (If you'd like to witness the moment of birth, ask a nurse to lower the screen slightly so you can see the baby but not much else.) Your partner or husband, freshly attired in operating room garb, may take a seat by your head.

How is a c-section done?

Once the anesthesia has taken effect, your belly will be swabbed with an antiseptic, and the doctor will most likely make a small, horizontal incision in the skin above your pubic bone (sometimes called a "bikini cut").

The doctor will cut through the underlying tissue, slowly working her way down to your uterus. When she reaches your abdominal muscles, she'll separate them (usually manually rather than cutting through them) and spread them to expose what's underneath.

When the doctor reaches your uterus, she'll probably make a horizontal cut in the lower section of it. This is called a low transverse incision.

In rare circumstances, the doctor will opt for a vertical or "classical" uterine incision. This might be the case if your baby is very premature and the lower part of your uterus is not yet thinned out enough to cut. (If you have a classical incision, it's much less likely that you'll be allowed to attempt a vaginal delivery with your next pregnancy.)

Then the doctor will reach in and pull out your baby. You'll have a chance to see the baby briefly before he's handed off to a pediatrician or nurse. While the staff is examining your newborn, the doctor will deliver your placenta and then begin the process of closing you up.

After your baby has been examined, the pediatrician or nurse may hand him to your partner, who can hold him right next to you so you can admire, nuzzle, and kiss him while you're being stitched up, layer by layer. The final layer — the skin — may be closed with stitches or staples, which are usually removed three days to a week later. Closing your uterus and belly will take a lot longer than opening you up, usually about 30 minutes.

After the surgery is complete, you'll be wheeled into a recovery room, where you'll be closely monitored for a few hours. If your baby is fine, he'll be with you in the recovery room and you can finally hold him.

If you plan to breastfeed, give it a try now. You may find nursing more comfortable if you and your newborn lie on your sides facing each other.

You can expect to stay in the hospital for three or four days before going home. For the full scoop on what happens after a cesarean, see our article on recovering from a c-section.

[img]eek.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Told you a c-section is a major deal. FYI they can do an epidural for natural delivery and all you feel is pressure... C-section is always available... Soemthing to talk with the OB today [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

having a baby natural is nothing plus its worth all the pain that you go through...i ONLY had one epidural and that was with my 10lb son and the rest natural is 5/6 my second one was 2lbs, third one was 8lbs 3ozs, forth one was 7lbs, fith one was 7lbs 7ozs and my last one was 7lbs and 4ozs...they will ONLY use C-Section if there is any complications in your pregnancy...I have watched my sister and she had a C-section and it didnt look that bad [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We saw the OB today, and the midwife agreed that natural is the better way to go. She said if all else fails, they can always do a c-section. Also, she said everything looks normal which is a definite plus [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Epidural...that is all I can say is definately going for an epidural because they can still use it if they have to do a c-section. Basically from what I got out of the conversation is they try to let you labor and if it just isn't progressing like it should or you aren't dialating like you should they go ahead and go for the c-section. Especially if you and the baby start getting stressed. Other than that they said the results from the ultrasound looked perfect and the baby is doing absolutely wonderful. I have to talk to the regular OB this next trip about the health problems I am having with the pregnancy and they will do the test for gestational diabetes at that point too which they said should be the last time they have to do blood...THANK GAWD!!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

just try really hard not to have one...

it's just enough to know youre now in charge of another life... [img]tongue.gif[/img] you'll be busy... you don't need the extra pain

it's your turn next !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL...I have to have them check my spine to see how they will do the epidural when I get closer because of the curvature of my spine. They may actually have trouble setting it. [img]eek.gif[/img]

I definately want to go naturally if I can. My sister had to have c-sections with both my nieces. Even with them being 7 and a half years apart she still had to have a c-section with Hannah. Funny thing with Kari is that they didn't really slow her down too much after the first couple of days. Her issue was that she just wouldn't dialate. With Kaela she dialated to 2cm and stopped and they induced her twice and nothing and with Hannah I don't think she dialated much more than that. She also had a lot of trouble because of the internal injuries she had sustained in a car accident that nearly killed her when she was 16. Things just didn't shift the way they were supposed too.

My major problem is my blood pressure. The severe hypertension has kept me pretty well down most of the pregnancy and they are really keeping a close eye on me for toxemia. My feet and ankles swell really really bad so I am off my feet most of the time. How the blood pressure is going to effect things I am not sure. When I am in pain it shoots way up even with the blood pressure medication as I have found out with the migraines I have gotten throughout the pregnancy. So it is going to be interesting to see exactly what happens. I have a feeling when Kian wants out he's gonna want out though. And there really isn't gonna be too much to slow him down. [img]eek.gif[/img]