Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Lions are a disgrace

Lions players file grievance against Marinelli

According to sources close to the situation, the Detroit Lions will lose two Organized Team Activities practices during the off-season because they were in violation of minicamp rules. A couple of Lions players filed the grievance against head coach Rod Marinelli because they believed the minicamp practices were too physical.

An official announcement is expected to be made sometime today.

According to sources, the players were upset at the high intensity and aggressiveness demanded in the team drills and believed the coaching staff was going over the line.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement forbids contact work during minicamps. Under Article XXXVI, Section 4 reads: Contact: There will be no contact work (e.g., "live'' blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run) or use of pads (helmets permitted) at minicamps.

According to a Lions player, the team drills were very physical even to the point where, on at least one occasion, an offensive lineman and defensive line lineman got into a scuffle over the heavy contact.

Unlike previous head coaches, Marinelli refused to allow the media to watch any of the team drills, which is where the bulk of the excessive contact allegedly took place. On the first day of minicamp on April 11, Marinelli told the media: "It was the first day and I wanted to give the coaches a chance to be themselves. I want (the players) to understand the tempo. The most important thing was to get things established.''

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: The Lions are a disgrace

What a bunch of girls.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

-Teddy Roosevelt

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is ridiculous. Where's Wayne Fontes when you need him? Barry Sanders? Lomas Brown? Scott Mitchell even?
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Inactive Member imported_MoonlightGraham's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how can you even be a lions fan now?

i dont care what you need on defense, you need a quarterback, and i am sorry because i know we have an Oregon fan on here. Harrington is not getting it done, they have a solid tail back and one of the most talented receivin corps in the league...they need a new field general.
    [img]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i42/stinmeister/untitled-2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Lions have the talent to be a playoof team, IMO, but the management doesnt seem to want that.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

to me it's sounding like the team doesn't want that, at least they have went and got a coach who is gonna toughen them up a little

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Their receivers aside from Roy Williams suck, lets get that point straight first and foremost. The next best receivers to Roy Williams are Kevin Johnson and Scotty Vines.

Next, their offensive line sucks really bad, especially the right side of the line.

Kitna will be a good(enough) replacement for Harrington, with McCown as a decent backup. Joey is 3rd string and will likely be traded if they can get compensation worked out with the dolphins.

Last, their defense is so-so. They have some talent in Hall, Dan Wilkenson and Shawn Rodgers up front and Boss Bailey at linebacker. Ernie Sims probably wasnt the best pick considering he already has 5 concussions. The DB's are average at best according to scouts. Bly, Kennoy Kennedy, and Fernando Bryant are overpaid to say the least.

The best part of Detroit's team is its coach. Marinelli is a [censored] good coach and Martz should be a good OC. The biggest problem with Martz is he leaves QB's overexposed and is so pass happy that it leaves the offense vulnerable to turnovers, sacks, and bad TOP, which makes the defense work even harder.

The lions will get better because of Marinelli and Kitna, but I think they need to go ahead and ship Charles Rodgers and Mike Williams out, those guys are talented but lack desire and are way overpaid.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I find myself shocked, in a lot of ways, I'm agreeing with Mega.

They have a good core of talent but apparently have either the worst attitudes/work ethic of any team.

I don't think Harrington is the problem, but I don't think he's the solution either. He's going through what a lot of young quarterbacks do, basically having their confidence ripped away. You're a QB, you have plays and you have receivers who never run routes properly. The biggest issue on Harrington has been he doesn't make decisions quickly enough, but with a rather 'questionable' line, and receivers who never end up in the right spots, how good can he be? You put him on a team that has some veteran receivers, who actually show up to play, I'll bet he would be ok.

[img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/getsmile.tmp007816300.gif[/img]
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree on Rodgers, but I think you gotta give Williams at least one more year before shipping him off, I mean the guy sat out a full year and the last time he was on the field in college he was the next great thing, yeah maybe he took a few things for granted but hopefully he learned from last year and he now sees that the NFL is a beast within itself.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rogers cant stay healthy
    Probably right about the other Williams

Truthfully those receivers need someone to kick their butt and they all could play, I'll bet if Marinelli is like it appears, it will be one of those 'the complaining players' are released things, if they can at least
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast