Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Texiera to the Yanks?

Simple logic, the Yankees are going to be the favorite, kind of crazy to not expect it.

We are in a recession and they are spending like its Monopoly money. Most teams can take on one big salary, if that, and they are taking on 3 so far. Competitive balance is one thing. You don't think that in the NFL or NBA that certain markets wouldn't be able to go above and beyond others? What wins there? Management, good decisions, and you have the idea that most every team is a candidate to be a factor (Detroit being an exception). As much as I love baseball, it isn't that. I don't mind the Yankees signing big games, I'm a Sox fan, I admit that I hate it but I hate when the Sox have to overpay for someone because the Yankees throw the salary scale out of wack. If the Sox had signed Burnett, you can pretty much bet the house unless they made an alternate deal, they wouldn't have been able to bid on Tex.

Give the Yankees management credit, they spend the money, I don't fault them for that, since they make the money but a blind man can realize that at the end of the day, people pay for that, increased ticket prices, etc.

I don't fault them for using their money, just being against them, hope it implodes on them. I actually am glad that they don't have Torre there, because I always thought he blended egos very well, and not so sure about Girardi
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I saw when you throw in A-Rod they have the 4 highest paid players in MLB, on one freaking team.

MLB needs a Salary Cap. Period.............
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The thing that makes it worse is that they have asked and gotten federal and state tax money to pay for their new stadium when this should have been going toward it, and continue to ask for money from the state and city to pay for it instead of doing it themselves.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Saw where all five or six of the biggest contracts ever in MLB have either initially signed with the Yanks or they took it on(Arod).

It really just isn't fair. A cap will have to be instituted just to keep other teams competitive. When you can count on about four or five teams to sign the best FAs EVERY year...It's just no fun anymore.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If the small market teams were so upset about this you would think there would be more calls for a salary cap, especially since Bud Selig is involved in the ownership of the Brewers- a small market team who has trouble attracting free agents. I guess the players union has the total upper hand in these matters.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They do. Donald Fehr owns Bug Selig.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think I will have more fun pulling against NYY this year than ever before. There is no way they should come up short of winning a WS. If they do it will be the greatest failure in the history of sports. I can't wait for April.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789