Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Clintwood vs Sussex Central

Quote Originally Posted by Slobber Knocker View Post
    I will never understand either how come people from the other towns in the area do not want other teams from the same area to do well. Guess his biggest thrill is telling people, "I told you so!" Sad.
    After seeing a certain someone cheer on Stuarts Draft because they knocked out the consolidated school kids from his hometown are attending this year, I'm afraid nothing surprises me anymore.
    Officially retired

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
    Thanks for Gotch for pointing out the obvious above so I didn't have to. Now time to debunk another of Mr. Dolt's interesting stats. *cough cough East Mont. * was a team of big, tall, skinny, slow as hell white kids who ran the PASSING SPREAD. Clintwood was a much faster team. If you'd said that what happens when Clintwood runs up against a team that could pass, you'd have had a point. Clintwood was the ones running away from East Mont, not the other way around. They decided to start playing late in the second quarter down 14-0 and lost by 5. What happens 9 times out of 10 when Clintwood plays a "fast team" is a win. The state 4x100 relay, multiple Burton teams, more often than not, Clintwood wins those games. That's what happened when they played Buffalo Gap and Franklin. Franklin probably didn't have a play over 20 yards in that game but they had some hulking OL blocking and more lead blockers than they could take care of coming out of the backfield. Buffalo Gap was just a big strong plodding team with a bull rb. They lost both of those game by a TD.

As for your prediction, that's your opinion and I'm not going to bash you for it. I wanted to correct you on what you were either embarrassing wrong about or just trying to lie about.
    Just like I have been saying, Speed cant run through a brick wall. The points you made here about Franklin and Buffalo Gap are dead on true. Those teams werent speed finesse teams, they were grind out pounding teams just like Clintwood. The track records for SWVA vs Speed teams is probably 70% to 80% wins for the grind it out SWVA teams. The jealousy of others on here cracks me up. Lke Ive been screaming, GET EM WAVES

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Play the game on the field Clintwood. I didnt say I did not want Clintwood to do good. I just think they have to fight to much adversity to win this one. If Clintwood does somehow win I will be going to Salem to support just like I did in 07 and 08. I hope Clintwood wins but at the same time im a realist. Sussex still wins. Not changing my opinion.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jealous? Haha. Of what? back to back state losses in 07 and 08? Close doesnt count. not winning isnt a good thing in GC.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not winning isnt acceptable anywhere when winning programs are the norm. JMO and Im a realist as well, Clintwood will win this game. Sussex Central is blown up too big. 88-8 is a big win but who did they do that against? Was it a traditional program that is used to winning or was it a fly by night deal that got into the playoffs due to the new system. Twin Springs got blew out in the playoffs this season as well bu nobody named the team that blew them out as such a formittable opponent. Last week's score dont mean anything about the next week. Richlands proved that, Union took them to the wire but Union has proven to not be so great this season. Ya cant go off last weeks scores.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gchs_devils View Post
    Play the game on the field Clintwood. I didnt say I did not want Clintwood to do good. I just think they have to fight to much adversity to win this one. If Clintwood does somehow win I will be going to Salem to support just like I did in 07 and 08. I hope Clintwood wins but at the same time im a realist. Sussex still wins. Not changing my opinion.
    I have not problem with your pick. You've got about as good a chance as anyone of being right. My only contention was the info you used for your argument was incorrect.
    "There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

preview

By Marsel T. Mason

SUSSEX- On Saturday afternoon two very successful programs meet in the Division 1 State Semi-finals for an opportunity to go to Salem. A classic match up between two teams who will have totally different ways of trying to advance to Salem next weekend. Clintwood (11-2) takes on Sussex Central (12-1) in Sussex for a kick-off time of 130pm.

Sussex Central is coming off an 88-8 win over Covington whose size wasn't enough to overcome the Tigers speed and strength,

Clintwood was able to pull off a 23-13 win over favorite George Wythe and wore them down throughout the game with their power and size.

The Greenwave is confident in being able to do the same thing Saturday afternoon in Sussex. Controlling the clock and grinding away until opportunities present themselves. Clintwood didn't have an overly successful day offensively versus The Maroons but their defense shined forcing 6 turnovers on the day. Despite that Clintwood advanced by capitalizing on Wythe's mistakes.

Gavan Meade is the grinder in the backfield who runs behind a mammoth offensive line and matching fullbacks. Meade (who had over 140 yards rushing last week) is a strong runner with good vision who doesn't shy away from contact. As long as the downs keep resetting Meade will carry the ball as much as needed as long as it leads to Greenwave victory.

Coach Rick Mullin's squad will be entering this big game with a quarterback making his first start in Dalton Dahley. His older brother Dylan was injured on an interception return where he broke his collarbone and Dalton came in and was successful. The plan is to hand it off to the big guys and let them go to work. Robbie Mullins, Austin Dotson, and Meade will be taking the load of the work in order to get things done.

Dotson leads the defense that prides themselves in being big hitters. They credit their defensive success to the result of out hitting the Maroons and the intimidation it caused them. Being physical is a trademark of many Southwestern Virginia teams and Clintwood may feel right at home because thats the type of game that will likely be played Saturday afternoon.

The Greenwave are winners of 10 consecutive straight games and will be bringing a convoy of fans to support their efforts over 7 hours away.

Sussex Central did not have much of a challenge versus Covington but will be eager to face the challenge in front of them Saturday. Preseason favorites, the Tigers became a new squad after having a setback in their only loss to Brunswick. Last weekend the Tigers rushed for 590 yards and are two wins away from accomplishing again what the school first did 20 years ago in claiming their first state title.

The Tigers are lead offensively by four year starter Tyquan Johnson at quarterback. Johnson's play is peaking at the right time here in the post season for Coach Curtis Jefferson's squad. His decision making is vital to the production of the offense and he has been solid orchestrating the veer offense thus far.

The backfield is filled with power and speed with Darian Curley and Jeronte Langford in the backfield. Curley has breakaway speed and runs hard, many times carrying defenders! Langford is usually a nightmare for the secodary to tackle who never avoids contact. If the Tigers rushing attack is in gear then the chances of stopping them become null.

Like their Lonesome Pine district opponents, the Tri-Rivers district champion prides themselves in playing sound defensive football. Saturday they take aim on an offense that is what you see is what you get. Winning at the line of scrimmage hasn't been a problem for the Tigers and it must not be Saturday if they are to advance.

The winner of this match will play the winner of Central Lunenburg and Galax.

GAME ANALYSIS:

CLINTWOOD: The Greenwave will try to churn and burn the clock in this contest. Having many 3rd and shorts will be vital for that to happen. Tackle Austin Kelley standing 6 foot 7, 340 pounds will have to lead the offensive line to success. If Coach Mullins trusts his new quarterback as much as they claim then expect the Greenwave to take a few shots deep to try to loosen the Tiger defense up. Defensively, the Greenwave will be pushed to max much more so than in Wytheville. The Wave will be coming hard with a loaded box hoping to blow up plays for loss. It will be high risk because one miss tackle could mean 6 points. They'll take their chances.

SUSSEX CENTRAL: The first priority for the Tigers will be not to do what George Wythe did and thats turning over the football. If any offense is built to exploit bigger teams its the veer. Grayson County defeated 61-6 which was their highest point total of the season versus Clintwood who haven't loss a contest since. The Tigers will have oportunities for burner John Jones to take advatage of especially if the running game is highly successful. The key to the defense having success will be on the defensive line. If the Tigers can get into the backfield consistently and force many 3rd and longs then it will be a long day for the Greenwave.

BOTTOMLINE:

Clintwood says "The fourth quarter is ours!" By that time the massive line has worn their opponent down and their speed has left them. Clintwood has the size and the will but they won't face an intimidated opponent this week. If the offensive line dominates off the ball then the Greenwave will get their chance in the 4th. However, if the line can't keep up with the speed of the Tigers to stop them from making plays for losses then it will feel like more of a long trip home back to Clintwood.

STRENGTHS:

Quarterback- Sussex Central (Johnson can take over a contest)
    Running backs- Sussex Central (Depth and more speed beyond the starters)
    Wide receivers- Sussex Central (Jones, Shabre Judkins, and Charles Bryant)
    Offensive line- Clintwood (Massive line led by Austin Kelley)
    Defensive line- Clintwood (Hole cloggers that allow linebackers to run free)
    Linebackers- Even (Both very aggressive and hard hitting)
    Secondary- Sussex Central (Any bad pass will likely be heading in the opposite direction)
    Special Teams- Sussex Central (Return teams give them the edge)

PREDICTION: Sussex Central 20 Clintwood 6.
    This post was edited on 12/2 10:06 AM by VirginiaPreps

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gchs_devils View Post
    preview

By Marsel T. Mason

SUSSEX- On Saturday afternoon two very successful programs meet in the Division 1 State Semi-finals for an opportunity to go to Salem. A classic match up between two teams who will have totally different ways of trying to advance to Salem next weekend. Clintwood (11-2) takes on Sussex Central (12-1) in Sussex for a kick-off time of 130pm.

Sussex Central is coming off an 88-8 win over Covington whose size wasn't enough to overcome the Tigers speed and strength,

Clintwood was able to pull off a 23-13 win over favorite George Wythe and wore them down throughout the game with their power and size.

The Greenwave is confident in being able to do the same thing Saturday afternoon in Sussex. Controlling the clock and grinding away until opportunities present themselves. Clintwood didn't have an overly successful day offensively versus The Maroons but their defense shined forcing 6 turnovers on the day. Despite that Clintwood advanced by capitalizing on Wythe's mistakes.

Gavan Meade is the grinder in the backfield who runs behind a mammoth offensive line and matching fullbacks. Meade (who had over 140 yards rushing last week) is a strong runner with good vision who doesn't shy away from contact. As long as the downs keep resetting Meade will carry the ball as much as needed as long as it leads to Greenwave victory.

Coach Rick Mullin's squad will be entering this big game with a quarterback making his first start in Dalton Dahley. His older brother Dylan was injured on an interception return where he broke his collarbone and Dalton came in and was successful. The plan is to hand it off to the big guys and let them go to work. Robbie Mullins, Austin Dotson, and Meade will be taking the load of the work in order to get things done.

Dotson leads the defense that prides themselves in being big hitters. They credit their defensive success to the result of out hitting the Maroons and the intimidation it caused them. Being physical is a trademark of many Southwestern Virginia teams and Clintwood may feel right at home because thats the type of game that will likely be played Saturday afternoon.

The Greenwave are winners of 10 consecutive straight games and will be bringing a convoy of fans to support their efforts over 7 hours away.

Sussex Central did not have much of a challenge versus Covington but will be eager to face the challenge in front of them Saturday. Preseason favorites, the Tigers became a new squad after having a setback in their only loss to Brunswick. Last weekend the Tigers rushed for 590 yards and are two wins away from accomplishing again what the school first did 20 years ago in claiming their first state title.

The Tigers are lead offensively by four year starter Tyquan Johnson at quarterback. Johnson's play is peaking at the right time here in the post season for Coach Curtis Jefferson's squad. His decision making is vital to the production of the offense and he has been solid orchestrating the veer offense thus far.

The backfield is filled with power and speed with Darian Curley and Jeronte Langford in the backfield. Curley has breakaway speed and runs hard, many times carrying defenders! Langford is usually a nightmare for the secodary to tackle who never avoids contact. If the Tigers rushing attack is in gear then the chances of stopping them become null.

Like their Lonesome Pine district opponents, the Tri-Rivers district champion prides themselves in playing sound defensive football. Saturday they take aim on an offense that is what you see is what you get. Winning at the line of scrimmage hasn't been a problem for the Tigers and it must not be Saturday if they are to advance.

The winner of this match will play the winner of Central Lunenburg and Galax.

GAME ANALYSIS:

CLINTWOOD: The Greenwave will try to churn and burn the clock in this contest. Having many 3rd and shorts will be vital for that to happen. Tackle Austin Kelley standing 6 foot 7, 340 pounds will have to lead the offensive line to success. If Coach Mullins trusts his new quarterback as much as they claim then expect the Greenwave to take a few shots deep to try to loosen the Tiger defense up. Defensively, the Greenwave will be pushed to max much more so than in Wytheville. The Wave will be coming hard with a loaded box hoping to blow up plays for loss. It will be high risk because one miss tackle could mean 6 points. They'll take their chances.

SUSSEX CENTRAL: The first priority for the Tigers will be not to do what George Wythe did and thats turning over the football. If any offense is built to exploit bigger teams its the veer. Grayson County defeated 61-6 which was their highest point total of the season versus Clintwood who haven't loss a contest since. The Tigers will have oportunities for burner John Jones to take advatage of especially if the running game is highly successful. The key to the defense having success will be on the defensive line. If the Tigers can get into the backfield consistently and force many 3rd and longs then it will be a long day for the Greenwave.

BOTTOMLINE:

Clintwood says "The fourth quarter is ours!" By that time the massive line has worn their opponent down and their speed has left them. Clintwood has the size and the will but they won't face an intimidated opponent this week. If the offensive line dominates off the ball then the Greenwave will get their chance in the 4th. However, if the line can't keep up with the speed of the Tigers to stop them from making plays for losses then it will feel like more of a long trip home back to Clintwood.

STRENGTHS:

Quarterback- Sussex Central (Johnson can take over a contest)
    Running backs- Sussex Central (Depth and more speed beyond the starters)
    Wide receivers- Sussex Central (Jones, Shabre Judkins, and Charles Bryant)
    Offensive line- Clintwood (Massive line led by Austin Kelley)
    Defensive line- Clintwood (Hole cloggers that allow linebackers to run free)
    Linebackers- Even (Both very aggressive and hard hitting)
    Secondary- Sussex Central (Any bad pass will likely be heading in the opposite direction)
    Special Teams- Sussex Central (Return teams give them the edge)

PREDICTION: Sussex Central 20 Clintwood 6.
    This post was edited on 12/2 10:06 AM by VirginiaPreps
    Nice pick losers
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I was looking at that earlier........Cocaine is a heck of a drug apparently.

Anybody who thought they had an edge on special teams and even at linebacker has to be doing some pretty hard stuff.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

And

that's why they play 'em on the field.

Actually went just about they way I figured it would.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast