Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Devotional

Inactive Member Jack_N_The_Green's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Daily Devotional

October 25, 2004

What Are You Living For?
    Read: 2 Timothy 4:6-18

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. "?2 Timothy 4:7

Bible In One Year: Jeremiah 6-8; 1 Timothy 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many people living in their twilight years suddenly realize how empty and pointless their lives have been. They've made some successful business deals and had some fun, but in terms of satisfying friendships or lasting accomplishments, their lives have been zero. They have climbed the ladder of success, only to discover that all the while it had been leaning against the wrong wall.

As the apostle Paul looked back on his ministry, he saw that it had been rewarding but not easy. Measured by the world's yardstick of success, his life seems almost insignificant.

Paul wrote his second letter to Timothy while languishing in a cold, damp dungeon awaiting execution. In a matter of weeks, the apostle would stand before Nero, the half-insane emperor of Rome, and his life would end. But he knew that after his death he would receive the crown of life from the King of kings. And we now know that the influence of his life changed the course of history itself.

An ancient historian would have written volumes about the splendor of Nero and probably never even mentioned Paul. Yet today we name our dogs Nero and our sons Paul. I guess what we live for is pretty important after all.

By the way, what are you living for? "?Haddon Robinson

One life to live for Christ my Lord,
    One life to do my part,
    One life in which to give my all
    With fervency of heart. "?Brandt

There are no losers with Jesus and no winners with the devil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

October 28, 2004

The Frog's "Blackboard"
    Read: Psalm 119:33-40

Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way. "?Psalm 119:37

Bible In One Year: Jeremiah 15-17; 2 Timothy 2

As a young boy, one of my favorite pastimes was hunting frogs along the banks of a pond near our home. I was unaware of their unique visual powers that enabled them to elude me so easily. Later I learned that the frog's optical field is like a blackboard wiped clean, and that the only images it receives are objects that directly concern him. These little amphibians are never distracted by unimportant things, but are aware only of essentials and whatever may be dangerous to them.

In the Christian life we frequently become preoccupied with the vain things of the world. We allow our lives to become so cluttered with materialistic and insignificant concerns that we lose perspective of the things that endure. In our text the psalmist asked God for help in fixing his attention on what is good and lasting (Psalm 119:37).

The words of the Lord should not depart from our eyes, but must be kept in our heart always (Proverbs 4:21). Then our field of vision will be wiped clean of unnecessary things, and we will see clearly what God wants us to do.

Have you become distracted by sin so that you can no longer discern what is really important? Then take a lesson from the frog's "blackboard" and center your gaze on Christ and His will for your life. "?Mart De Haan

O God, You know my wayward heart,
    So prone to choose an earthly part;
    From vain affections set me free,
    That I may always look to Thee. "?Anon.

The more attracted we are to Christ, the less we'll be distracted by the world.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just wanted to put my daily devotion in <font color="pink"> </font color>

Friday, November 12

This week's promise:
    Trusting in God brings peace

What does it mean to trust God?

"For no one will ever be saved by obeying the law. "

Galatians 2:16 NLT

Trusting Christ for salvation means ceasing to trust in our own efforts to be righteous.

WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE ! !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hope gives us courage

"You will have courage because you will have hope. . . . "

Job 11:18

For a prisoner on death row, a pardon offers hope of freedom. For the spiritual prisoner on death row because of the consequences of sin, God offers ultimate hope by forgiving our sins so that we can be with him in heaven forever. When life seems impossible, God brings eternal hope. Hope is essential to our perseverance, our getting through the tough times. Without hope we give up. Hope requires one thing, though"?a trust in the one who brings real hope. </font color> <font color="pink"> </font color>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hope gives us courage

What can I do when things seem hopeless?

". . . Hannah was in deep anguish, crying bitterly as she prayed to the LORD . . . "

1 Samuel 1:1-28

In the midst of Hannah's hopelessness, she prayed to God, knowing that if any hope was to be found, it would be found in him. <font color="pink"> </font color>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

God's blessings deserve our thanks

"Everything God has created is good . . We may receive it gladly, with thankful hearts. "

1 Timothy 4:4 NLT

This week is Thanksgiving in the United States, but out thanks to God should not be limited to one day a year and our thanks should not be limited only to God.

A loving mate works hard all day at the office or at home. Do we bother to say thanks? Think about how often in a day someone does something for you, however small. How often do you say thanks? Now think about how often God helps you in a day. Think about how much God has given you. How often do you say thanks to him? Thanksgiving is a celebration of the giver and the gift. Celebrate often!

Inactive Member imported_trumpet1988's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Very good
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sorry for the month's leave of absense...I'm back

November 30, 2004

Sounds Of Silence
    Read: Colossians 3:12-17

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom. "?Colossians 3:16

Bible In One Year: Ezekiel 37-39; 2 Peter 2

During a Sunday morning worship service, I was intrigued to see the interpreter for the deaf continue to sign during an instrumental piano offertory. After the service I asked her what she was saying during that time when no words were being spoken or sung. She said that she had signed the words to the hymn being played, and also answered questions her "audience" asked about the pianist, her style, and her training.

"Instrumental music can be a blank place in worship for the deaf," she told me. Instead of taking a break or enjoying it alone, she thought of those who couldn't hear and kept the worship service unbroken for them.

That experience broadened my understanding of Colossians 3:16, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs." As we allow God's Word to fill our hearts and have free rein in our lives, we can share it with others through words of instruction, encouragement, and praise to the Lord. Imagine the impact it could have in our homes, in private conversations, and in worship together.

As you encourage others by sharing God's Word from your heart, it will be music to their ears. "?David McCasland

Sing praise to God who reigns above,
    The God of all creation,
    The God of power, the God of love,
    The God of our salvation. "?Schutz

Let God's Word fill your heart and guide your words.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

December 5, 2004

No Answers
    Read: Job 42:1-6

Shall the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him? "?Job 40:2

Bible In One Year: Daniel 1-2; 1 John 4

Just before Christmas 2003, Lydia came home from work to the sight of flames shooting out of her house. She was devastated by more than the loss of her home"?seven of her family members died in the flames. When news about the tragedy spread that morning, a deacon from her church rushed to comfort her. She had some deep questions for him, but he had no answers.

Lydia could relate to Job's story. He lost all 10 of his children (Job 1:18-19), yet he continued to worship God (v.21). Then his health was affected, and his wife urged him to curse God and die (2:9). Job's friends thought they had the answer"?he must have sinned and deserved his troubles.

Job complained bitterly to the Lord and pleaded for an explanation and relief, but God didn't give him any answers. He didn't even tell him about Satan's request to test him (1:6-12; 2:1-6). Instead, He reminded Job that He was the all-wise God and that Job was not. Job was humbled, and he repented for having questioned God's authority (42:1-6).

This side of heaven, we may not find answers for our desperate questions of "Why did this happen?" and "Why me?" But we can rest in the truth that God is in control and that He loves us. "?Anne Cetas

Though darker, rougher, grows the way
    And cares press harder day by day,
    With patience in His love I'll rest,
    And whisper that He knoweth best. "?Pentecost

God does not have to answer our questions, but He will always keep His promises.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

December 6, 2004

It's The Knees
    Read: James 5:13-18

Continue earnestly in prayer. "?Colossians 4:2

Bible In One Year: Daniel 3-4; 1 John 5

Both of my knees were hurting, and I could not figure out why. I hadn't done anything to damage them or put undo pressure on them.

Or had I? I recalled that over the previous few days I had been working on the walls in our house, scrubbing them and getting them ready for painting. And then I had painted them. All the while, as I stood on the short ladder to reach the top, I had been pressing my knees against the ladder for balance. I was, in effect, being supported by my knees.

Then a new thought came to mind: When was the last time my knees hurt because I was on them praying? It had been a while.

Although it's true that people pray all the time without kneeling, the question I asked myself is a convicting one. Whether we are on our knees, standing up, or seated, how often do we use prayer to support ourselves? We can find help from many sources"?friends, counselors, books"?but there's nothing better than the support and strength we get from God when we pray.

"The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much" (James 5:16). Prayer has power. We are to "continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant" (Colossians 4:2).

How are your knees? "?Dave Branon

When I kneel before my Master,
    I can feel His presence there,
    And the load of care and sorrow
    Seems much easier to bear. "?Anon.

Prayer does not require eloquence but earnestness.