0 Post(s)

Re: Daily Devotional

April 3, 2005

Cobwebs

Read:
    Romans 10:11-17

How shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard. "?Romans 10:14

Bible In One Year: 1 Samuel 29-31

The story is told of a painter who was commissioned to portray a run-down church. But instead of an old, tottering ruin, he painted a magnificent edifice of modern design. Through the windows could be seen an ornate collection box for the gifts of the fashionable worshipers. Above it hung a sign bearing the inscription "For Missions." Sadly, the box was covered in cobwebs.

The church or the individual whose heart and life is not involved in the worldwide proclamation of the gospel is on the way to ruin. We may be engaged in feverish "Christian activity," but our energies are misdirected if the main thrust of God's program for this age goes unattended.

God has so designed His plan of world evangelization that every believer is to be vitally involved. We all should "pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest" (Matthew 9:38).

Some will also hear His personal call to be preachers"?otherwise, "how shall they hear?" (Romans 10:14).

Still others will be givers and senders, for "how shall they preach unless they are sent?" (v.15).

Let there be no cobwebs over the cause of world missions because of our lack of concern. "?Paul Van Gorder

Lord of harvest, send forth reapers,
    Hear us, Lord, to Thee we cry;
    Send them now the sheaves to gather,
    Ere the harvest time pass by. "?Thompson

Untold millions are perishing"?untold.

Inactive Member Jack_N_The_Green's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 4, 2005

The Wisdom In God's Word

Read:
    Proverbs 8:12-21

Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? . . . Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world. "?1 Corinthians 1:20

Bible In One Year: 2 Samuel 1-4

We treasure Scripture. It's God's inspired Word, and it teaches us the way to abundant life in this world and eternal life in the world to come. Indeed, it is the source of a wisdom that goes beyond that of the wisest philosophers (1 Corinthians 1:20). But this fact is rarely acknowledged in our culture.

So I was glad to read an article by The New York Times columnist David Brooks extolling biblical wisdom. He praised Martin Luther King Jr. for insight into human nature derived from Scripture. He felt that King "had a more accurate view of political realities than his more secular liberal allies because he could draw on biblical wisdom about human nature. Religion didn't just make civil rights leaders stronger"?it made them smarter." And Brooks said further: "Biblical wisdom is deeper and more accurate than the wisdom offered by the secular social sciences."

Are we drawing on that source of wisdom in our own lives? We need Scripture's wisdom to deal with our personal problems and political issues. If we study and obey the Bible, we will be able to humbly testify with the psalmist, "I have more understanding than all my teachers, for Your testimonies are my meditation" (Psalm 119:99). "?Vernon Grounds

The Bible is God's Word to us,
    Still fresh through all the ages;
    And if we read it we will find
    God's wisdom on its pages. "?Sper

One truth from the Bible is worth more than all the wisdom of man.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 5, 2005

Where Is Your Trust?

Read:
    Jeremiah 17:5-10

Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, and whose hope is the Lord. "?Jeremiah 17:7

Bible In One Year: 2 Samuel 5-8

Let's be honest. Are we always able to trust ourselves in everything? Even the apostle Paul said emphatically about himself, "I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified" (1 Corinthians 9:27). He wouldn't trust himself to do the right thing unless he kept his body under strict discipline.

Today's Bible reading reminds us that "the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9.) It is not possible for any of us to fathom the extent of the deceptions of our heart. How then can we ever trust ourselves or anyone else completely?

Jeremiah warned the last Judean kings against placing their trust in earthly kings (vv.5-6). But they continually sought help from Egypt. How foolish they were! They should have repented of their wickedness and returned to Almighty God for His help.

Where can we put our trust for help in difficult and uncertain times? God's Word tells us that those who place their trust in God are like trees planted by the waters. Even in drought they will not cease to bear fruit (vv.7-8).

Let's trust God to produce fruit in our lives. "?Albert Lee

We find it easier to trust
    In what our eyes can see,
    But God asks us to trust in Him
    For our security. "?Sper

Don't let self-confidence replace your trust in God.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 6, 2005

Go Home And Tell

Read:
    Luke 8:26-39

Return to your own house, and tell what great things God has done for you. "?Luke 8:39

Bible In One Year: 2 Samuel 9-12

Two young men had been friends from childhood. One was a Christian, the other was not. The second man was about to embark on a long ocean voyage, and the believer felt the urge to speak to him about Christ before he left. "I'll do it on the way to the dock," he promised himself. But when they reached the dock, he still hadn't done so.

He went on board to say goodbye, and thought, "When we bring the baggage to his room, I'll speak to him." But the porter took the trunks and suitcases, so they did not visit the stateroom. Finally he said to himself, "I'll be sure to witness to him in some quiet place before the ship departs."

Suddenly, however, there came the announcement that all visitors must leave. Two months later word came that the man had died overseas.

In Luke's gospel, we read of a man possessed by many demons who had been wonderfully restored by Jesus. In gratitude to the Lord he wanted to stay with Him to worship Him (8:38). But Jesus said, "Return to your own house, and tell what great things God has done for you" (v.39).

Will you apply Jesus' words to your life and tell someone of His grace and salvation"?beginning at home? Don't put it off. Tell someone now about Jesus! "?M. R. De Haan, M.D.

To the work! To the work! Let the hungry be fed;
    To the fountain of life let the weary be led;
    In the cross and its banner our glory shall be,
    While we herald the tidings, "Salvation is free!" "?Crosby

Any place can be the right place to witness.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 7, 2005

Are You Struggling?

Read:
    Hebrews 12:1-7

Consider Him who endured such hostility . . . , lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. "?Hebrews 12:3

Bible In One Year: 2 Samuel 13-15

I was in my second year of widowhood and I was struggling. Morning after morning my prayer-life consisted of one daily sigh: "Lord, I shouldn't be struggling like this!" "And why not?" His still, small voice asked me from within one morning.

Then the answer came"?unrecognized pride! Somehow I had thought that a person of my spiritual maturity should be beyond such struggle. What a ridiculous thought! I had never been a widow before and needed the freedom to be a true learner"?even a struggling learner.

At the same time, I was reminded of the story of a man who took home a cocoon so he could watch the emperor moth emerge. As the moth struggled to get through the tiny opening, the man enlarged it with a snip of his scissors. The moth emerged easily"?but its wings were shriveled. The struggle through the narrow opening is God's way to force fluid from its body into its wings. The "merciful" snip, in reality, was cruel.

Hebrews 12 describes the Christian life as a race that involves endurance, discipline, and correction. We never get beyond the need of a holy striving against self and sin. Sometimes the struggle is exactly what we need to become what God intends us to be. "?Joanie Yoder

When God allows His chastening hand
    To give us little rest,
    His only purpose is our good"?
    He wants for us His best. "?D. De Haan

We experience God's strength in the strain of our struggle.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 8, 2005

Faithful Ambition

Read:
    Galatians 6:12-18

God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. "?Galatians 6:14

Bible In One Year: 2 Samuel 16-18

In the late 19th century, a former student of Oxford University became the Lord Chancellor of England. One of his classmates became Britain's Foreign Secretary. A third gained an international reputation as an author. A fourth, Temple Gairdner, was perhaps the most gifted of his classmates but did not achieve fame and influence. Why? He accepted Jesus as his Savior and lived as a missionary in obscure and dangerous places.

Gairdner could have become as well-known as his fellow students. But when he decided to become a missionary, he wrote to his sister, "I have found ambition dreadfully difficult to cope with. It seems so natural, especially with one's upbringing and education, to look forward to making a mark and a name, and so awfully hard to resign oneself to living and dying tucked away in some corner."

We probably will not be called upon to make that kind of sacrifice. But are we willing to serve our Savior in radical obedience? To serve Him faithfully we must put aside our own interests, as Paul did: "God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Galatians 6:14).

We don't need to be famous. But we do need to be faithful wherever God calls us. "?Vernon Grounds

Let us then be true and faithful,
    Trusting, serving, every day;
    Just one glimpse of Him in glory
    Will the toils of life repay. "?Hewitt

The world rewards quick success; God rewards long-term faithfulness.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 9, 2005

The Cross And The Crown

Read:
    Mark 11:1-11

Behold, your King is coming to you; He is just and having salvation, lowly and riding on a donkey. "?Zechariah 9:9

Bible In One Year: 2 Samuel 19-21

On the day we call Palm Sunday the Lord Jesus presented Himself to Israel as their King when He rode into Jerusalem on a donkey. Had He been astride a spirited horse, He would have looked more kingly. But Zechariah had prophesied He would come in the humble way that He did.

Why? Kings of the East rode donkeys when on errands of peace. The horse was used as a charger in war.

The multitudes thought in terms of earthly prosperity and freedom from Rome. So they cried, "Hosanna in the highest!" (Mark 11:10). Yet a few days later, the shouts of the crowd became: "Crucify Him!" (15:13).

Some who declare themselves admirers of Jesus do not recognize Him as the Savior of sinners. But our deepest need cannot be met until our sin problem is overcome. For this reason Christ rode into Jerusalem on a donkey with His face set toward the cross, knowing full well the shameful and painful death He would suffer there. Now, having paid the price for human sin, He is highly exalted at God's right hand and will come again as King of kings and Lord of lords. His cross had to precede His crown.

If we want to be part of His heavenly kingdom, we must trust Him as our Savior now. "?Herb Vander Lugt

If in heaven a crown you'd wear
    And bright palms of victory bear,
    Christ the Savior you must claim;
    Find redemption in His name. "?Anon.

There would be no crown-wearers in heaven had Christ not been the cross-bearer on earth.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 10, 2005

Let Your Balloon Go!

Read:
    2 Samuel 22:1-8

I will give thanks to You, O Lord, . . . and sing praises to Your name. "?2 Samuel 22:50

Bible In One Year: 2 Samuel 22-24

The participants at a conference in a church in Nebraska were given helium-filled balloons and told to release them at a point in the worship service when they felt like expressing their joy. All through the service, balloons ascended one by one. But when the meeting was over, one-third of the people had not released their balloons. I wonder if they couldn't think of any reason to praise God.

King David would have let go of his balloon when singing his song of praise recorded in 2 Samuel 22. God had delivered him from all his enemies (v.1). Earlier, when hiding from King Saul in the rocky desert, he had learned that true security is found only in God (1 Samuel 23:25). David's heart had to "give thanks" and "sing praises," for the Lord had become David's rock, fortress, deliverer, stronghold, refuge, and Savior (2 Samuel 22:2-3,50).

What has the Lord been for you throughout your life? Your peace in a chaotic time? Your comforter amid loss? Your forgiver of a sinful choice? Your strength in a difficult task?

Take out a piece of paper and write down your list of thanks. Then take time to praise God for all He is and all He has done.

Let your balloon go! "?Anne Cetas

From your heart give God your praise
    For His blessings all your days;
    Lift your voice to God above"?
    God of mercy, God of love. "?Hess

Praise is the overflow of a joyful heart.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 11, 2005

Get Rid Of The Grubs

Read:
    Proverbs 3:19-26

Keep sound wisdom and discretion . . . . Then you will walk safely in your way. "?Proverbs 3:21,23

Bible In One Year: Psalm 1-3

A frustrated homeowner had a yard full of moles. He tried everything he knew to defeat his underground enemy, but he was losing the battle. Finally a friend informed him that he was trying to solve his problem the wrong way. The moles weren't the true culprits. The real problem was the grubs that the moles were feeding on. Get rid of them and the moles would have no reason to stay.

The third chapter of Proverbs gives us a parallel situation. Instead of moles, the problem is fear"?the kind of fear that robs us of strength during the day and sleep at night (vv.24-25).

What is also evident from this chapter is that we can eliminate our fears only by attacking the "grubs" that attract it. We must go after our self-sufficiency and irreverence (vv.5-8). We have to treat our evil and foolish ways with a strong application of divine wisdom and understanding (vv.13-18). Then and only then will fear lose its grip.

What's important is to know the real problem so that we can work on it. When it comes to fear, we must make wise decisions based on God's Word and build a love-trust relationship with Christ. That's what it takes to get rid of the "grubs." "?Mart De Haan

When you are deeply troubled
    By fear and inward doubt,
    Strive to do what pleases God,
    And He will lead you out. "?Lloyd

Keep your eyes on God and you'll soon lose sight of your fears.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

April 12, 2005

Paneled Houses

Read:
    Haggai 2:1-9

Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, and this temple to lie in ruins? "?Haggai 1:4

Bible In One Year: Psalm 4-6

The prophecy of Haggai is often overlooked in Scripture, but it holds much for us. This brief book consists of four messages from God to the Jewish exiles who had returned from Babylon. Their mission was to rebuild the temple in Jerusalem.

They started well, but then their enthusiasm waned and they turned to building houses for themselves. In his first message, Haggai asked, "Is it time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, and this temple to lie in ruins?" (1:4).

In message two (2:1-9), Haggai asked if anyone remembered the temple Solomon had built, and that King Nebuchadnezzar destroyed. A few elderly exiles could recall the former glory. By comparison, the abandoned work looked pitiful.

Let's think for a moment about our work of building the church. For us, the church is the body of Christ"?the believers themselves (1 Corinthians 12:27). Our mission as followers of Jesus is to become a strong, dedicated, growing, witnessing church.

How is your local congregation doing? Is it busy doing the work of God? Are you personally involved? Or have you become distracted with the work of building your own "paneled houses"? "?Dave Egner

God gives us talents to be used for Him.
    Should then His work for lack of zeal decline?
    His kingdom first! Our light must not grow dim"?
    Through faithful servants may His glory shine! "?Mollon

Commitment to Christ goes hand in hand with commitment to His church.