It need's to be tougher and I hope they all get shut down.
Looks like Tennessee is going to get toughter. Personally I've never been to one. Anybody that knows where I could see one, PM me. It's one of the life experiences that I've missed out on.
From the BHC:
Frist calls cockfight gambling 'wrong,' says it should be federal crime
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, responding to a major cockfighting raid in Cocke County, said he opposes the betting blood sport and would like to see it a federal crime.
The practice of gambling on razor-equipped roosters fighting to the death "is wrong and irresponsible," the Tennessee Republican told The Knoxville News Sentinel's Washington bureau on Wednesday.
As Senate leader, Frist scheduled a successful vote on the floor in April to pass a bill that would make it a felony rather than the current misdemeanor to be involved in interstate commerce of animals for fighting purposes. The measure also would make it a felony for interstate commerce of sharp instruments used on fighting roosters' legs.
Under the bill, the prison penalty would increase from the current maximum one-year sentence to as much as two years in prison. A felony conviction also ends one's rights to own a gun and vote.
Frist said the goal was "to impede the sport," and he hopes the House also passes it.
U.S. Rep. Bill Jenkins of Rogersville wants to keep cockfighting a misdemeanor and criticized federal authorities for taking part in the June 11 raid in Cocke County, part of his district. The raid led to the arrest of 143 people, seizure of more than $40,000 in cash and more than 300 roosters were euthanized.
U.S. Rep. John Duncan of Knoxville said he may support stiffer state or federal penalties for cockfighting but agreed with Jenkins that the reported $400,000 spent on the Cocke County raid, conducted with machine guns and helicopters, "went overboard."
Federal court records showed a three-year investigation of cockfighting pits in Cocke County had found up to 700 people attended one day, and as much as $2 million to $3 million was wagered at one derby, with adults and children as young as 6 placing bets.
It need's to be tougher and I hope they all get shut down.
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
Well what do they expect....it was in "Cocke" county!
[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]
Well I think our government has a lot more of major crimes that they should be trying to take care of ,and leave these hard working people alone .For they were not bothering no one . The FBI and all the police officer should be after drug dealer ,and the other big crimes that hurt people and our country ,not these guys that are just making a honest living ,and enjoy the hobbythat they like to do
dude, just because they werent after a drug dealer at the time doesnt mean they werent doing their jobs. It is illegal and its cruel to animals therefore it is an important crime to enforce. With drug dealers, they are salesman and people always have a choice to buy or not to buy from them. Birds dont have that option, they just fight for their life and die. To be a know it all, you dont know very much or have much sympathy for animals. Surely theres another hobby they can find to enjoy or make an honest living. Anyone that has to do this for a living most likely isnt the most intelligent person on earth to begin with.
There was something in the newspaper on this about a year ago. You'd be surprised at the people into this. And not poor folks either. Some view it as a sport. Just like boxing or anything else.
I think someone interviewed one person who run a pit for it. And their idea of it was it's like two fighters going at it. And no one lets their animal be injuried. The first one that draws a sight of blood it is over.
But the other person had a different take on it. It was well until one couldn't fight no longer. I was surprised at what one of the men said. They had all kinds of people coming to their cock fights. Business owners, elected officials, church folks etc etc.
I seen it enough when i was younger. My grandma and grandpa kept chickens and use to, i guess you would say barter, they would trade the eggs to one man, who traded back with them in butter and other dairy products.
one of my buddies went to a cockfight and he bought one of the coolest shirts ive ever seen..."it said until death, do us part"
"To be the man, you've got to beat the man."
Used to know a fellow that raised chickens to fight. As far as I know, still does it. Lives down in Stickleyville, I believe.
[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]
Mega know you facts before you talk I know of doctors ,lawyers ,judges ,owners of some of the largest company in the world that is into this so I would say these people are pretty smart .They made thier mark in the world what about you
look at all them damn comma's
"You Cant See Me"
Bookmarks