Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UAE to take over US PORTS

Re: UAE to take over US PORTS

"High cost of Lagor", yeah that is a good one. The companies have moved the ports to another country to get cheaper labor? It is the same as the oil companies- record profits but they still complain about the workers wanting enough to live on. The coal companies are trying to recruit Mex labor to come to the coalfieds now because for the first time in years it isn't all the companies ballgame. Most still don't offer much in the way of retirement or healthcare for retirees, so do not look for the American way of life to improve, it will be downhill from here. The courts are letting companies out of retire agreements EVERYDAY. "Lifetime " in corporate law means till the end of the next fiscal year.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A longshoreman with full seniority averages $80,479 a year; overtime can
    ratchet it up to $136,000. Members get 16 paid holidays - including St.
    Patrick's Day and Good Friday - and up to six weeks vacation. Work on those
    days is paid at double time.

Life is a grindstone . Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up , depends on what we are made of .

And your point is? And how are the ships unloaded now? If it isn't fair/right that the longshoremen get these things, how do you justify the wages and benefits of the CEO's? I'm always in favor of moving a couple of jobs to a country that enjoys slave labor conditions. We should all understand that our government will allow any company to farm out jobs and be prepared to lower our standard of living to the likes of China or Mexico so we can compete with the less than a buck an hour labor. A CEO in this country makes an average of 6 times the hourly worker. I'm thinking that the Arabs have my best interests at heart, give'em the White House and Congress too. At least they will be keeping up the retired politicans that way. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm happy givin' it all away, one guy isn't gonna make any change. At least we won't have to watch the Mexican border if the terrorists control the ports. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So the government should start telling business's what to do and who to do it with?? Please, that would be defying everything that the country is founded on.

I think that its terriable that we are losing all these jobs overseas. But look at it like this, if you have somebody mowing your yard for $50, and another person comes to you and says I will mow your yard for $10 and do an even better job and not [censored] and complain the whole time that Im not getting paid enough and this that and the other. Who are you going to get to mow your yard?
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

-Teddy Roosevelt

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's capitalism ... Be profitable or go under . No , I do not think the longshoreman deserve all they get ... St. Patricks Day Pleease ! That's why the jobs are going bye-bye . The market will dictate salaries not unions.
    Life is a grindstone . Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up , depends on what we are made of .

[ QUOTE ]
    I think that its terriable that we are losing all these jobs overseas. But look at it like this, if you have somebody mowing your yard for $50, and another person comes to you and says I will mow your yard for $10 and do an even better job and not [censored] and complain the whole time that Im not getting paid enough and this that and the other. Who are you going to get to mow your yard?

[/ QUOTE ]I would do the same as you suggest and allow the goods to be brought into the country , let all the taxes that would be paid by American workers go- pay no attention to the fact that the lawnmowerman is working a slave for nothing. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]I'm smart enough to take care of myself and 2 more generations, the rest will have to make it own your own. I think we outlawed slave labor, the products imported have no SS match, no road tax, no medcaid/medicare, no taxes to support the court system, no taxes to support the armed forces. Yep you guys are exactly right, it is plain to see that I don't have any idea what is correct. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So its the Republicans fault that other countries have a different form of government that allows their population to work for pennies?? Hell why not, you want to blame everything else on the Republicans. Lets just raise taxes through the roof and that will solve all problems!!!
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

-Teddy Roosevelt

Read it any way you like the truth is the truth- if a toy is made by someone that gets 22 cents an hour then you better want to work for 22 cents an hour, personally, I don't. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

New angle of threat?
    Congress and the media focus on the potential dangers of a UAE-owned company running American port operations, any possible threat is dwarfed by the current insecurity of the US government's computer infrastructure, which has been compromised by a company with alleged multiple connections to terrorist financing.

The company, once known as Ptech (now GoAgile), has been contracted to provide sophisticated computer software to several government agencies, including the Army, the Air Force, Naval Air Command, Congress, the Department of Energy, the Department of Justice, Customs, the FAA, the IRS, NATO, the FBI, the Secret Service, and the White House.

Shortly after 9/11, the company's primary investor, Yassin al-Qadi (al-Kadi), was identified by the US government as a specially designated global terrorist. Officials describe al-Qadi as one of Osama bin Laden's "chief money launderers," and allege he transferred as much as $3 billion to al-Qaeda during the 1990s.

Al-Qadi is a wealthy Saudi with connections to banking, diamonds, chemicals, construction, transportation, and real estate. He once headed Muwafaq, an Islamic charity the US Treasury Department described as an "al Qaeda front that receives funding from wealthy Saudi businessmen."?

Al-Qadi also maintained an unusually close relationship....

Ptech secutity story

Politicians finally moving to protect the USA?
    House Republican leaders on Tuesday embraced legislation that would block a Dubai-owned company from taking over operations at several U.S. ports, brushing aside a veto threat from President Bush.

"We believe that the U.S. should not allow a government-run company to operate American ports,"? said Ron Bonjean, a spokesman for House Speaker Dennis Hastert.

The legislation is expected to reach the House floor next week as part of a $91 billion measure for wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and aid for Gulf Coast states recovering from Hurricane Katrina. Budget story But on another note
    2006: The United Arab Emirates intends to operate U.S. military factories. The Bush administration has informed Congress of a review of the UAE acquisition of a British manufacturer of engine components for U.S. military aircraft and main battle tanks. The British firm operates nine factories, including military production facilities in Connecticut and Georgia.

Officials said Dubai International Capital has acquired the London-based Doncasters Group for $1.2 billion. Doncasters produces engine components and turbine blades for military platforms, and its clients include Boeing, General Electric, Honeywell and Pratt and Whitney.

Source: World Tribune.com
    I guess our troops might want to double check that list before take-off. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] 1 more item and I'll hush, think twice about wearing NC Blue to the Tourney-

* 3 March 2006; UPDATED: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill police are investigating an incident that occurred shortly before noon today in which a Jeep, driven by an native of Iran who was acting out of revenge against non-Muslims, drove through the common area known on campus as the Pit, injuring six people. The injured were taken to UNC Hospitals. None of the victims appeared to be seriously injured.

Campus police said they had a suspect in custody. He was identified as Mohammed Reza Taheriazar, 23, a UNC student as recently as fall 2005. Police said they would charge the suspect with multiple counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill.
    New information from the scene indicates that Taheriazar told police he was "seeking retribution for the treatment of Muslims around the world." The vehicle used in the attack was rented earlier in the day, according to police. Taheriazar reportedlytold police he tried to rent "the biggest SUV he could find" to use in the attack. As he was taken into custody, a police SWAT team surrounded a Carrboro apartment complex where Taheriazar reportedly lived, based on information collected at the scene.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast