Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Hummus

  1. #1
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Hummus

    Easy to make, good for you, and very tasty!

    Start off with one can of chickpeas. Drain and rinse.

    hummus1

    Cover with water in a saucepan, add a couple of cloves of garlic, simmer for 15 minutes.

    hummus2

    While the beans are simmering, juice two lemons.

    hummus3

    Add about 1.5 cups of creamy peanut butter (or tahini if you can find it) to a food processor, followed by 1/2 tsp. of

    hummus4

    and two tbsp of

    hummus5

    and 3 tbsp of

    hummus10

    I also like to add a tbsp of sesame seeds for flavor (only if I don't have tahini). Also one tbsp of salt and a grind or two of black pepper.

    hummus6

    Drain the beans and add them to the processor.

    hummus7

    Process on low until it forms a smooth paste. Add warm water until it becomes smooth.

    hummus8

    Taste for seasoning, add salt if needed.

    hummus9

    Serve with toasted pita bread or make your own pita chips by cutting up pita bread, brushing with olive oil, and baking on a half sheet pan until crispy.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member BlueWahooChambordDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2007
    Posts
    7,204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hummus

    id rather eat my own [censored]......that stuff is nasty as hell
    [img]http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/5577/2061259960091622927S425x425Q85.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6s6CdLQRCP0/SREpSZXb99I/AAAAAAAAATU/3O3G-P2Jqkc/s400/tombstone.jpg[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hummus

    Sounds really good to me, can't wait to make some and try it.

    BTW Bob Ingles has pita chips allready made in different flavors.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hummus

    Cheaper to buy whole wheat pita bread at Wal Mart on clearance, freeze it, and make your own at your convienence. Better for you too.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hummus

    I watched Alton make hummus in a Good Eats rerun recently. If only I had a food processor; hummus & cauliflower...
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hummus

    I just happened to see them up there last week on sale and got a couple bags. Pretty good but to crispy. I like making my own so I can control the crispness.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member ms pemberley's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hummus

    Hummus is not my thing, but I have a friend who is a vegan (NO animal products whatsoever) and this was one of the foods she introduced me to back in the day. If I have to eat it, I can, but I find it to be kind of bland. Maybe there is someway to jazz it up for us non-vegans, but I can't really think of anything.
    Looking for my Darcy, but finding only Wickham. Right now, I'd settle for Bingley.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hummus

    Ground black pepper, groud red cayenne pepper and cumin will jazz it up just fine, as long as you put enough of each.

    And of course you can never go wrong with

    pete
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member imported_trumpet1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12th, 2003
    Posts
    2,533
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hummus

    Stuff is nasty IMO. Probably because peas, let alone chickpeas, aren't my kind of food! But I guess it won't hurt to try it again.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member BlueWahooChambordDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2007
    Posts
    7,204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Hummus

    chickpeas are gross
    [img]http://inlinethumb10.webshots.com/5577/2061259960091622927S425x425Q85.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6s6CdLQRCP0/SREpSZXb99I/AAAAAAAAATU/3O3G-P2Jqkc/s400/tombstone.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •