Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Election

  1. #11
    Inactive Member centennialdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2003
    Posts
    3,263
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Election

    Well, democracy was at work tonight, for better or worse, our democratic policies worked at this election just as it has at all other elections, local or national. I am not saying that I agree or disagree with it. Rather, I am saying that I support our democratic process.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member basketballguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2003
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Election

    If anything it incorporates the "tie breaker" (a pro consolidation person) more often.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Election

    He'll likely be deciding everything, the 4 anti members hardly vote for anything the other 4 want(consolidation or not)...from the budget issues, to personnel, all these people did was just leave these decisions up to him and consolidation still happens.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Election

    I don't know this Powers guy from a hole in the wall, but I do know Larry Greear and have for several years. I was rooting for him, and not just from a pro-consolidation stance. Moreso because I know he is highly intelligent and would have looked at the plans presented and made the proper choice, consolidation or not.

    Good luck to Powers. But--as has been pointed out, thank haysoos for the tiebreaker.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  5. #15
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Election

    The idea of an appointed tie-breaker is the dumbest idea in the world. Nobody takes us seriously and I totally understand why.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  6. #16
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Election

    the bad thing is that I'm afraid that a lot of people that were for consolidation will be so put off by the way things have gone down they just don't care anymore
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  7. #17
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Election

    Quote Originally Posted by R13 View Post
    I don't know how the turnout was, haven't got any calls, but looked like it was "okay" in Coeburn - I was 126 and that was around 3 I believe. But these precincts have been flooded with people from SP, Appy and Pound standing outside...even though they can't even vote for Powers. I know there were around 8 Appy people at Wise Co. Christian School and there was a crowd just as large of Pound people in front of Coeburn's, lovely how they injected themselves into it. Curious to see how the negative "ads" have worked for Powers, rare to see that on a local level like that, but he managed to take some shots at Greear...pitiful.
    I loved the Step 1 - Close 3, Step 2 - Close Coeburn signs. :laffingassoff:

    I'm just glad I wasn't at home last week when Powers came through the neighborhood campaigning. He did litter on my porch by leaving campaign materials.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  8. #18
    Inactive Member Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    377
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Election

    Quote Originally Posted by stainless View Post
    So what does this do for the schools?
    Honestly, I don't think it changes much at present. The consolidation vote has already occurred and can't be changed unless one of the "pro-voters" changes their mind -- its a 4 to 4 tie with a "pro" tie-breaker.

    But, it will definitely bring the tie-breaker more so into the mix since nothing will probably be passed now whether it is for the best or not without breaking the tie.

    A point I'd like to make though is that the "anti" crowd will again try to say this special election was a "loud and clear" statement. However, there were around 700 less votes cast in this special election than in the 2007 general election and this was only one district and isn't necessarily representative of the remainder of the County. I'm not so sure that the outcome would have been the same if the "cram plan" hadn't been enacted though. Also, Powers has to run again in November for the same seat and who says he will win then? Maybe he will, maybe he won't. This part alone makes this special election a real waste of money IMHO when they have to do it again in a few months.

    I guess the drama continues......
    ......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 1999
    Posts
    1,019
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Election

    Just wondering....would anything change even without the tie-breaker

    The Anti crowd at the BOS level has used gridlock to its advantage.......now that the vote to concoladate has passes I would THINK that a 4-4 tie to go back would like wise die due to lack of a majorty.....Am I wrong on this?

  10. #20
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Election

    I'm being dead-honest when I ask this, not flaming the guy--but what are Powers' qualifications for this position on the school board?
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •