Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: State of the Union...

Laws and legality have no relevance to him. I don't have a problem with BP paying whatever it takes but I know for a fact it is written law and illegal to even ask them to go above 75 million.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks like the other half of my post got deleted when I posted it. It was asking where this million came from, what I've read is 70k from BP employees...not the company. Fox tried to pass that lie off too, but they said they donated 750 mil.

And which law would this be Mr. Barton?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Check the Oil Pollution Act of 1990 Mr. Dumbshit. So by "LAW" they are only liable up to $75 million and telling them they have to go over that or else is a shakedown. Sorry I forgot stuff that happened before you were born doesn't count. As I said before I don't have a problem with them having to pay whatever it takes but by law all they have to pay is the $75 mil and no matter what if they wanted to force the issue Chairman Mao couldn't do anything about it.

Pardon, it was something over $900,000 from the oil & gas industry not from BP alone.

All this aside name one thing he has done to help with the cleanup or the plugging of the well. Besides give the sorriest speech ever last week that even your heroes on mslsd couldn't even find anything positive to say about it.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Been waiting for that one. The 75 mil is only a cap on private damages, not the clean up. That's assuming he has forced them to do anything, the escrow fund isn't a mandate, so your point it moot. With that said, if they decided to "push the issue" and buck...congress can just vote to raise the cap to whatever they want, so let them buck on it. They're lucky the 10 bil wasn't passed, but it will be raised above 75 mil cap(probably into the billions) without a doubt - it wouldn't take much, esp a 20 year old number that will be exceeded with the magnitude of this spill.

And what would you like him to do? Go dive down and put his hands over it? BP is 100% liable for plugging and cleanup, there's only so much he can do while keeping the liable and just so much he can do period. If the ones who caused the spill(who by your law were supposed to prevent the spill and have a cleanup plan), you expect him to have a better plan or a plan at all for a spill this incredibly large that happened out of nowhere? Give me a break, more and more grasping, don't expect anything less.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its a little difficult to pass a law and apply it to events that have taken place before the law was changed.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    Its a little difficult to pass a law and apply it to events that have taken place before the law was changed.
    Not for this bunch.

Well mr. genius if you care to look the $20 billion is for private damage claims and has nothing to do with cleanup expenses. As for the cleanup why has 13 different countries that have offered to come and aid in the cleanup been turned away among these the Dutch who stepped up 3 days after the explosion and were told no thanks.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
    Not for this bunch.

Well mr. genius if you care to look the $20 billion is for private damage claims and has nothing to do with cleanup expenses. As for the cleanup why has 13 different countries that have offered to come and aid in the cleanup been turned away among these the Dutch who stepped up 3 days after the explosion and were told no thanks.

And again, it's not being mandated, they set up the fund...but BP has been willing so far, if they aren't forcing them to do anything, then that law means nothing. It only says they don't have to pay more than 75 mil, not that they can't if they want to. And before the fuckfest starts about how nice that is of them, it's again, not out of the kindness of their heart. That is basically the only thing they have that is a positive for their image and if they don't do it, the cap can be raised and they lose that credibility..and still have to pay. Not to mention they have 10 times that at their disposal, so I don't feel sorry for them.

And they're just not needed right now, the spill isn't even contained, there's going to be some training involved...after things are contained better, they'll probably be brought in. The State Dept. has already said that they'll be taking up some of the offers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234