Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Race for the 9th...

thoughts on it? It's just over two weeks away, this one is pretty important, more so than past years of course. Thoughts on the outcome? Issues?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Race for the 9th...

I would really like to see more from both people in some ads about where they stand instead of where the others trash is. I think there some issue with Griffith not actually living in the district, but being about 100 yards away from it, but he does have ties to the area being an E&H graduate, and possibly redistricting will put his home in the 9th next year. That part is hard to tell though.

I don't completely agree with either one. I also don't agree with the talk of we need to leave Boucher in just because of his tenure. That may be one of the worst arguements ever IMO. You don't change for the sake of change. Also, the question is, how much has Boucher really done for this area in his 28 years? Job creation is basically a farce IMO. I have had a feeling for quite a few years (not just since the recession) that theres fewer jobs around then there used to be.

On some of the big topics he has been a part of recently, Boucher helped himself in the area IMO by voting against "Obamacare". The stimulus vote probably is a 50-50 deal to many in the area, but I am surprised they have polished that turd as well as they have when it comes to cap and trade in this area. He and Cecil are real tight, and I think that has buff that turd as well as it can be.

Right now CNNs poll shows Boucher up 10 points, and I expect him to win again to be honest. I am kind of interested in how Heaton polls, and who he may actually take votes away from, if he does at all.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    I would really like to see more from both people in some ads about where they stand instead of where the others trash is. I think there some issue with Griffith not actually living in the district, but being about 100 yards away from it, but he does have ties to the area being an E&H graduate, and possibly redistricting will put his home in the 9th next year. That part is hard to tell though.

I don't completely agree with either one. I also don't agree with the talk of we need to leave Boucher in just because of his tenure. That may be one of the worst arguements ever IMO. You don't change for the sake of change. Also, the question is, how much has Boucher really done for this area in his 28 years? Job creation is basically a farce IMO. I have had a feeling for quite a few years (not just since the recession) that theres fewer jobs around then there used to be.

On some of the big topics he has been a part of recently, Boucher helped himself in the area IMO by voting against "Obamacare". The stimulus vote probably is a 50-50 deal to many in the area, but I am surprised they have polished that turd as well as they have when it comes to cap and trade in this area. He and Cecil are real tight, and I think that has buff that turd as well as it can be.

Right now CNNs poll shows Boucher up 10 points, and I expect him to win again to be honest. I am kind of interested in how Heaton polls, and who he may actually take votes away from, if he does at all.
    You must be talking about Griffith, there are no attack ads of Bouchers to my knowledge, the closest thing I know of is the lady saying "he's not from here" in a 28 sec ad...that's it. The rest are pro-Boucher ads by him, the UMWA or Mr. Jim McGolthin of United, on top of that, I don't think I've seen Griffith with anything else besides attack ads on Boucher the cap and trade issue and trying to link him with Obama/Pelosi, those are annoying as hell.

The problem isn't him being so many feet out of the district, which gerrymandering will more than likely go past his home, it's the fact that he's out of touch of what the citizens of the 9th need and want.

I do know that the Showcasing Southwest VA has brought in over 5000 alone since it's been going, that's excluding future projects that are already in progress and excluding other projects of Bouchers.

I'd say in my time working with the campaign, which has been for a week since I've signed on as an intern, 85-90% of the voters against Boucher is based on one issue and that's cap and trade. But I have learned quite a bit about it now, well his reasoning for his vote. Boucher negotiated major changes to the bill that goes a long way in protecting the coal companies from the EPA regulations - due to this Duke Energy, Dominion Energy and American Electric Power all endorsed the bill. And since he added an amendment, House rules required him to vote in favor of the bill, which is why he did...so he could get his changes made. It was passing regardless by many votes, instead of Boucher voting no on the original bill, he made changes for the coal industry that ended in a YES vote.

Even if none of that was known, why wouldn't someone vote for Griffith based on that? No matter what Griffith says, he can not do anything to change it, the bill has already passed the House and is in the Senate - so I don't get why people are believing him when he says he's going to do something about it. He's not and he can't.

Boucher should win easily, but it needs to be decisive. From talking with some people in the campaign, he should pull votes from both sides but from Griffith more. I don't know a thing about the man, but from what I've heard, he'd be more aligned with the tea-party - not that he has done that to my knowledge, just based on his positions...but again, what I've heard, I don't really know anything about him.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I kind of doubt he gets aligned with the Tea Party. I have looked over his voting record some and he tends to fall in the more moderate area in his history as a state delegate. Tends to fall in line with gun control for one, which led to the NRA backing Boucher instead. He has been against cutting funding for programs for kids and at risk families it looks like as well. For a recent topic you brought up, he voted against In-state tuition for undocumented persons.

Also for that "Showcasing SWVA" hasn't that been going on since around 87? Im afraid the numbers would fall on the negative side if we done a comparison of what it has gained versus what we have lost. It averages a little less than 220 jobs a year, or 15 jobs per county in the 9th from my math. Thats not exactly setting the woods on fire. Russell and Scott County have done okay in that department in recent years, but Smyth County has been hit hard by job losses, as has Patrick and Henry County (Henry is partially in the 9th) and I am really not sure about the NE part of our district.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I kind of doubt he gets aligned with the Tea Party.
    He's already done it. Remember that Tea Party Rally that was supposed to be at the Wise Fairgrounds but was moved to Zion Family Ministries? Griffith was the central political character in it. From all reports I heard, it was basically a rally to gain him support and donations...and to trash Boucher while they were at it.

If you're the central political face at a Tea Party Rally, then to me--you're aligned w/the Tea Party, regardless of past voting records.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had forgotten about that rally.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Of course, talking to a specific group of people doesnt necessarily mean you are a part of that group of people. Although many in that group may support you.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1inStripes View Post
    Of course, talking to a specific group of people doesnt necessarily mean you are a part of that group of people. Although many in that group may support you.
    While true, it doesn't mean you're not a part of them either. We don't know for sure, but I always say follow the $$$ and you'll get to at least part of the truth.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I actually meant Heaton and the Tea-Party, I don't know if he would put himself with that group, but I've heard his positions are in line with them - but I don't have a clue honestly. There's not a doubt in my mind he would jump on that wagon if it were bigger around here, he's a political opportunist 100%. He's running for the 9th to try and beef up some support in this area for a future run for possibly governor - he's pretty well known up there, but not around here. I'd guarantee if he were to somehow win, he'd be out of here in about 6 years at the most. He can't even get elected in the 6th though, so he'll just fade away.

What gets me is there is quite a few supporters around here from talking to a lot of people, but it's nothing but a strictly partisan vote. I can say that no level-headed person without a deep hatred for anything dem. that blinds them, would never cast a vote for Griffith. He's not known around here, he's never done anything for us and actually voted to take money away from the area, he stands on a dishonest campaign with no substance behind his own and is running against a man that has did a lot for this area on larger scales to individually. There's just no reason whatsoever to cast a vote for Griffith, none whatsoever, it's nothing but partisan views and misinformation(fueled mostly by Griffith) and just people casting a very uneducated vote.

I was just referring to Showcasing SWVA as a particular program that created quite a bit of jobs, but altogether I believe there has been 28k created for this district since he came in.

Boucher is still pro-coal 100%, that cap and trade vote still solidifies that after you find out why he did it. But after interacting with this man more and more, listening to him speak at events and answer questions, watching him actually ask for a persons number/address to help them with a particular problem - my respect for him couldn't be higher, he truly cares about us and you'd be hard pressed to find a man in congress who works harder than he does. You don't find that just anywhere, we are fortunate to have him as our congressman. I feel pretty lucky to be working for him even as just an intern, of course when making calls or something of that nature it's about the election, but there's been several cases I've gotten to "help" a few people with their problems from something like SS/Medicare to a lady today who's husband was abused in a local nursing home..I'm not doing much, but just getting them in contact with the right people in his office is rewarding for me. Take everything away and just his helping of individuals like this has gained ultimate respect from me and I'll give him praise whenever and where ever I can to let people know what he does for us.

There's a few events coming up by the way, there's two dinners next week for the public, good food and Boucher will be speaking. One on the 25th at Duffield Elementary at 6 and the 27th at Jonesville middleschool I believe at 6 pm also.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Back to cap and trade, you mentioned it passed by several votes, but he was able to make amendments and then had to vote YES because of those votes. Didn't C&T only pass by 8 votes?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast