Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Race for the 9th...

Yes it did, but what do you mean? They had the votes without a doubt, Waxman was poised to make several breaks for more votes. But for Boucher instead of voting NO on it in a meaningless protest vote, added his amendment and voted YES on it(by rule he had to if he wanted his amendment to be added).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im just saying that he bought into cap and trade for his party. It may not make a major effect on the coal business now, but long term it will.

I did go to Rick's website to try and find more info on Showcasing SWVA (maybe they could do a better job of mentioning that, with actual data of what it has done if its a big focus point for him). The only numbers I could find stated that it has led to 5,000 technilogical jobs in recent years. I don't know how long recent is determined by that, but it would be nice to have a link with info of each year in what it has created.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He didn't really IMO. He doesn't agree with the taxing of emissions at all, he's said specifically that he'd like to see that SC decision(from 07 I believe) to be overturned that said the gov. can and will regulate emissions. The bill isn't all cap and trade btw, it has some good stuff in it to protect the environment other than carbon capturing.

With cap and trade, it would cap carbon emissions of course, but to soften the blow of it on industries, the bill would provide coal-dependent companies with trade able emissions allowances. The original legislation would require those companies to buy the allowances at "auction", then that money goes to clean-coal energy research. What Boucher did was propose giving electric utilities 90% of those allowances they would be required to purchase, for free. Then on top of that, he'd introduce another bill to delay the regulations altogether for two years - there's not enough votes for a full ban, Obama would veto is regardless. Then during those two years, he and others in congress would try to work something permanent out in a compromise for the coal companies.

That second legislative measure is all assuming this even gets out of the Senate, which that isn't looking too good of happening.

Here's a good article that I read last month btw, didn't get around to posting it, but I found the link.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/09/20/1...rylink=addthis

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He doesn't in your opinion, but his amendment that gives a 2 year leeway, says otherwise. As with any bill, theres always side stuff put on them. Sometimes thats a big reason something gets voted down or voted up.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I probably worded that wrong, but the 2 year part was with the second legislative measure he is going to push, had nothing to do with the amendment he added to the bill.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Somethings going on this big week before the election. There's two debates, first one tomorrow at 7 tomorrow, then another friday at 7 also. Boucher will also be having a dinner at Jonesville Middle School Wednesday starting at 6, then another this Halloween at MECC at Goodloe starting at 5 I believe.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anybody possibly recording and placing those online?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Its online now, wdbj7 is streaming it live, it should be in the archive afterwords...so maybe check there, but I don't know for sure.

I'll be honest too, I think Heaton definitely leans right on most things, he's in the middle on a lot too...he's taken shots at both sides.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, Heaton seriously lit Griffith up when he had the chance. He got onto Boucher, well really the dem party in the beginning, then during the second half he blasted the hell out of Griffith. Heaton is an asset I believe to Boucher, the last line of the debate was pretty epic. Heaton used his closing statement to blast Griffith not living here, Griffth repeated the same "I live a foot away" shit and Heaton said "You'd be out in baseball" which I lmao at. Loved it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Heaton is definitely an asset to Boucher, just as Perot was to Clinton. Anytime you have an Independent running who deflected from another party, its going to make an impact on the vote.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast